S/MIME setup with Certificate server for encrypted SMTP internet mail

S/MIME setup with Certificate server for encrypted SMTP internet mail

Post by Steve Coughla » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have been asked to look into secure internet mail for our company and in
doing so I came across the S/MIME configuration in Outlook 2000 and Outlook
98. This looks like the solution I need. It appears that you can have a
certificate or keys to encrypt mail across the internet.

I have set up certificate server on a domain controller and Key manager on
the e-mail server. I created a Digital ID for a client and can send
encrypted mail within the organisation. The certificates for internal mail
have the following settings :-

Ensure e-mail came from sender
Protect e-mail from tampering
Ensure the content of e-mail cannot be viewed by others

When I attempt to configure the client to send S/MIME I don't appear to be
able to select a certificate.

Is there any info on setting up S/MIME for exchange with your own
certificate system ? Have you set it up ?

Thanks for any comments.

MCP

1. Internet Mail Setup -- SMTP Virtual Servers / SMTP Connector

I would like someone to clear something up for me....
When I setup client's E2K servers, I have them use the Defauly Virtual
SMTP server, configure the recpieint policy to reflect the registered
domain, and then BAM its finished and working 100%.

Now I found this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2KInterne...

My understanding of the SMTP connector was for connecting to other
SMTP server directly, like another E2K in a different Org.

Is this article for making it more sercure ?!

Thanks,
JR

2. Outlook Synchronization

3. sending and receiving S/MIME encrypted messages inside a dotnet-application

4. Cleaning up distribution lists/public groups

5. Encrypt mail sessions over the Internet?

6. InterOrg Replication Utility

7. V3 S/MIME Certificates

8. MAPI 1.0 and problems retrieving X.400-addresses...

9. Problems with Exch 5.5 V3 (S/MIME) Certificates

10. Encrypt mail sessions over the Internet?

11. Encrypting Internet Mail

12. Encrypting - Securing Internet Mail...