Upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003?, tryitoz

Upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003?, tryitoz

Post by Peter Cummi » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:19:15

We are running Exchange 5.5 and have about 13 servers. I believe we
are running on Windows 2000.

We have not started our upgrade/migration yet. It is anticipated it
will commence before the end of this year (2003) and be complete
perhaps late in the 4th quarter.

I think the beta for Exchange 2003 is already out.

I have 3 questions:

1. Will there be a migration path from Exchange 5.5 with OWA to
Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2000?

2. Will Exchange 2000 run on Windows 2000 as opposed to having to run
it on an XP or .NET server?

3. What are the advantages/features of Exchange 2003 over 2000? Any
papers on this or table of comparisons? Would it be more prudent to
migrate from 5.5 to 2003?

4. Should we upgrade to 2000 this year or wait perhaps a few months
and upgrade to Exchange 2003 instead?

We would have to sell this concept to management. I think they are
sold on going to 2000 however I am of the opinion (perhaps naive) that
once we have 2000 in by December 2003, we will have already shortened
Microsoft supports lifecycle and perhaps missed some great features
2003 may offer in addition to greater longevity.

Thanks very much
Sincerely, Peter