Event 1016 - NT user logged into mailbox but is not the primary NT account

Event 1016 - NT user logged into mailbox but is not the primary NT account

Post by Mike Evan » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

We just installed 5.5 and found out that it is possible for any user to log
into any other user's mailbox if they just create a profile for it.   We get
message #1016 "User XYZ has logged into user's ABC mailbox but is not the
primary NT account for this mailbox".  Anybody know how to fix this and what
caused it?

Thanks
Mike

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>We just installed 5.5 and found out that it is possible for any user to log
>into any other user's mailbox if they just create a profile for it.   We get
>message #1016 "User XYZ has logged into user's ABC mailbox but is not the
>primary NT account for this mailbox".  Anybody know how to fix this and what
>caused it?

Sure. Remove the NT Group Account from the Organization, Site and
Configuration (and possibly the Recipients) container that all your
users are a member of. You should have only the Exchange administrator
and Exchange Site Service account in those permissions list (you can
add an "Exchange Admins" global group to the list to accomodate
multiple NT User Accounts with admin roles in Exchange).

What you DON'T want to see is the "Domain Users" group in the list.
And you especially don't want to see it there if it has the "Service
Account Admin." role!

Post by Amiri Jone » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>We just installed 5.5 and found out that it is possible for any user to log
>into any other user's mailbox if they just create a profile for it.   We
get
>message #1016 "User XYZ has logged into user's ABC mailbox but is not the
>primary NT account for this mailbox".  Anybody know how to fix this and
what
>caused it?

    Check the permissions on the Organization, Site, and Configuration
containers.  The ONLY account that should be listed with Service Account
Admin privileges is (drum roll, please) THE SERVICE ACCOUNT!  All accounts
used for actual administration should have a role of Permissions Admin,
Admin, or View-Only Admin.

1. NT Server Event 1016 -Not Primary Windows NT Account

When we replace an old workstation, occasionally the old machine is
reassigned to someone else within the organization.  I have noticed that
even though we modify the Outlook 98 profile to open the person's mailbox
that the machine was reassigned to, I see an Application Log Event ID 1016
on the NT server where the original mailbox was located with the following
text:

"NT User DOMAIN\XYZ logged on to Doe, John mailbox, and is not the Primary
Windows NT Account on this mailbox."

In this scenario, XYZ is the new user, John Doe is the old user mailbox.  Is
there something we are overlooking in the client setup that is generating
this message?  Somehow the client knows the original Exchange Server and
mailbox that it used to connect to and is generating this error even though
it appears to not be true.

NT Server 4.0 SP5
Exchange Server 5.0 SP2

Thanks,
James Gregory

2. Opps! I removed "Internet E-Mail" service

3. Event 1016 / Exchange Service not primary NT account

4. Symantec Antivirus/Filtering and exchange2000

5. NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

6. Mac's crashing NT4.0 SP3/Exchange Server 5.0SP1

7. User logged on to mailbox- not primary WIndows NT account

8. Is there a way user can update the GAL?

9. Log reports NT user is not primary mailbox account

10. User Logged On to Mailbox Which They Are Not the Primary NT Account

11. Exchange Event ID: 1016 NOt the primary WinNT account

12. mailbox resource is not updating primary nt account

13. Logging all, non-primary NT account Logons