Backward Migration!!! 2000 - 5.5

Post by Mike Goldsworth » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:17:40

Ok no one please laugh...

We are currently running an NT4.0 domain with Exchange 5.5. and have
acquired a company that runs a 2000 AD and exchange 2000. Because we have a
migrations strategy to move from exchange 5.5. to Exchange 2003 we need to
migrate all users from the current exchange 2000 server to exchange 5.5. The
scenario would be that the users will be logging on to the AD domain but
access their 5.5 mailboxes.

Can the ADMT & ADC assist in this process?

Any ideas on how we can perform this daft idea will be gratefully received.

Regards
Mike

Backward Migration!!! 2000 - 5.5

Post by Kara » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:01:51

I'm not positive about your answer, but why not just upgrade the 5.5 users
and move the 2000 users' mailboxes to the 2003 servers or just upgrade the
2000 servers to 2003?  It would be much easier given that the 2000->2003
path is so easy.

My $.02 worth.

Karan Mavai

Quote:> Ok no one please laugh...

> We are currently running an NT4.0 domain with Exchange 5.5. and have
> acquired a company that runs a 2000 AD and exchange 2000. Because we have
> migrations strategy to move from exchange 5.5. to Exchange 2003 we need to
> migrate all users from the current exchange 2000 server to exchange 5.5.
The
> scenario would be that the users will be logging on to the AD domain but
> access their 5.5 mailboxes.

> Can the ADMT & ADC assist in this process?

> Any ideas on how we can perform this daft idea will be gratefully
received.

> Regards
> Mike

Backward Migration!!! 2000 - 5.5

Post by <thom_.. » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:07:25

You can use the utility exmerge to copy all the E2k users
mail into .pst's and them import them into their 5.5
mailboxes once created and pointed to the correct AD
account. This would be the easiest but there are other
ways with cross domain/forrest trust's and moving the
mailboxes/public folders to the 5.5 server. Like I said,
exmerge would be the easier and faster way with little
chance for problems(data/configuration failures and admin
time/money). There is a knowledge baser artilcle on
migration with exmerge. Let me know if you cant find it.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Ok no one please laugh...

>We are currently running an NT4.0 domain with Exchange
5.5. and have
>acquired a company that runs a 2000 AD and exchange

2000. Because we have a
Quote:>migrations strategy to move from exchange 5.5. to

Exchange 2003 we need to
Quote:>migrate all users from the current exchange 2000 server

to exchange 5.5. The
Quote:>scenario would be that the users will be logging on to
the AD domain but
>access their 5.5 mailboxes.

>Can the ADMT & ADC assist in this process?

>Any ideas on how we can perform this daft idea will be

gratefully received.
Quote:

>Regards
>Mike

>.

1. Is Exchange 5.5 SP4 backward compatible with SP3?

Welcome to my nightmare! I am maintaining an application that uses Exchange
Server 5.5, SQL 2000, and Outlook 2000. In order to add some new
functionality I wrote and tested a bunch of server script on my development
machine (win2K server with Exchange 5.5 SP3).

It failed in production with a bunch of _weird_ errors. The production
machine is using exchange 5.5 SP4. Upgrading my development machine from SP3
to SP4 breaks the code that worked under SP3.

Will I now have to go through hundreds of lines of VBScript correcting
stupid
errors (like form variables must be capitalized), or is there any kind of a
fix
for this? Aren't these service packs supposed to be backward compatible?

TIA!

Joe Montalbano
Consultant, MCSD
RDA Corporation <http://www.RDACustomSoftware.com>

2. Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine - kmelillo

3. Exchange 5.5 to 2000 migration in Windows 2000 Mixed Mode Domain

4. NEWBIE Question#2.

5. Reg: Migration from Exch 5.5 NT 4.0 to Exch 5.5 2000 As

6. exchange 2003 beta2 -> rc1 upgrade problem tip

7. Revers Migration - ExChange 2000 to 5.5

8. MSE 5.0 - Addressing problem

9. Forms and Migration 5.5 to 2000

10. GW 5.5 Migration to Exchange 2000 Woes

11. Exchange 5.5 Migration to Exchange 2000

12. Migration Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000

13. Migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000