Exchange SP3 installation problems.

Post by I?igo Gonzále » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:08:37

I've installed the E2K SP3 over a fresh installation o Exchange 2000 that
works fine.

After installing SP3, the information store service and the MTA stacks
service, dont start autommatically every time I restart the server.

But if I start it manually they works fine.

Can anybody help me.

Thanks in advance:

I?igo

Exchange SP3 installation problems.

Post by Don Tan [MS » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:41:47

Hello,

When the Exchange 2000 server reboots, take a look at the application log
and see if you're getting any error messages. If you do get error messages
regarding Exchange 2000 server, kindly post back the specific error message
on this thread.

Also, something came to my mind.

If you do get error messages upon startup, see if the error message relates
to the following KB articles:

Q325964 XADM: System Attendant Service Does Not Start, Error 9022
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q325/9/64.asp

Q280432 XADM: System Attendant Stops Working with a 9022 Event
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q280/4/32.asp

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Professional

Exchange SP3 installation problems.

Post by I?igo Gonzále » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:06:45

Hello Don.

I was installing a new Windows 2000 Server in order to migrate our actual
Windows NT 4 to Windows 2000. After the problems I mentioned I reinstall the
server completly, but I have't installed E2K SP3 yet.

What I remember about the problem is that the Information Store Service and
the MTA Stacks Service didnt start because the System Attendant had not
started.

Ill make tests with a virtual machine (using VMWARE) and a will post a new
message with the results.

Thak you very much.

I?igo Gonzlez
ODEI S.A.

Quote:> Hello,

> When the Exchange 2000 server reboots, take a look at the application log
> and see if you're getting any error messages. If you do get error messages
> regarding Exchange 2000 server, kindly post back the specific error
message
> on this thread.

> Also, something came to my mind.

> If you do get error messages upon startup, see if the error message
relates
> to the following KB articles:

> Q325964 XADM: System Attendant Service Does Not Start, Error 9022
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q325/9/64.asp

> Q280432 XADM: System Attendant Stops Working with a 9022 Event
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q280/4/32.asp

> I look forward to hearing from you.

> Thank you and have a nice day.

> Sincerely,

> Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
> Microsoft Online Support Professional

rights.

Exchange SP3 installation problems.

Post by I?igo Gonzále » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:47:49

I DID IT!!!

It works...

Navigating de Microsoft KB, I have found this article: Q312859. In this
article explains how to increase the time out the service MExchangeSA has to
start. By default this time is 60 seconds. By increasing this time to 600
seconds, all works fine.

[...]
Alternatively, if you install Exchange 2000 SP2 or later, modify the default
topology detection timeout registry value setting. This registry value is
not present by default. If this registry value is not present, Exchange 2000
uses a value setting of 0x3C (60 decimal) seconds.

To modify the default topology detection registry value:
  1.. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
  2.. Locate and click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDSAccess
  3.. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:
    Value name: TopoCreateTimeoutSecs
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Radix: Decimal
    Value data: 600
  4.. Quit Registry Editor.
A value setting of 600 seconds is a good starting setting, but you can
reduce this setting if you want. This new registry value setting does not
indicate that Exchange 2000 services (which depend on DSAccess) take 10
minutes to start; instead, this value indicates that DSAccess has 10 minutes
to discover the topology.
[...]

Thanks for your interest.

> Hello Don.

> I was installing a new Windows 2000 Server in order to migrate our actual
> Windows NT 4 to Windows 2000. After the problems I mentioned I reinstall
the
> server completly, but I have't installed E2K SP3 yet.

> What I remember about the problem is that the Information Store Service
and
> the MTA Stacks Service didnt start because the System Attendant had not
> started.

> Ill make tests with a virtual machine (using VMWARE) and a will post a
new
> message with the results.

> Thak you very much.

> I?igo Gonzlez
> ODEI S.A.

> > Hello,

> > When the Exchange 2000 server reboots, take a look at the application
log
> > and see if you're getting any error messages. If you do get error
messages
> > regarding Exchange 2000 server, kindly post back the specific error
> message
> > on this thread.

> > Also, something came to my mind.

> > If you do get error messages upon startup, see if the error message
> relates
> > to the following KB articles:

> > Q325964 XADM: System Attendant Service Does Not Start, Error 9022
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q325/9/64.asp

> > Q280432 XADM: System Attendant Stops Working with a 9022 Event
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q280/4/32.asp

> > I look forward to hearing from you.

> > Thank you and have a nice day.

> > Sincerely,

> > Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
> > Microsoft Online Support Professional

> > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

> rights.

Exchange SP3 installation problems.

Post by Don Tan [MS » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 09:36:50

Hello,

Glad to hear that the problem is fixed. I figure it's got to do with time
out issues.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Professional

1. Exchange Client (Shared) SP3 Installation problem

How do you update (Shared) Clients with SP3 ?

All my clients run the current SP2 from a SHARED directory on the network.
If I try running UPDATE.EXE from the clients, it tries to overwrite
some files located in the SHARE directory and fails.  This is
the case even for ADMIN

Did Microsoft leave out something in SP3 ?

Maybe I should just convert all my clients to run Exchange locally..
I was just trying to save some disk anyway (most machines need it)

--
Thanks

Michael Duncan  :-)

2. Outlook2000 start switches.

3. Receipient policy puzzle

4. How to have 2 Exchange 2000 Servers with the same information

5. Problem with WMI service after SP3 installation!!!!

6. Moving OWA virtual directory from Default Web Site?

7. SP3 installation problem - webasp.ins

8. Problem with public component refresh after installation SP3

9. Connect problems after SP3 installation

10. Problems after SP3 installation

11. SP3 Installation Problem