Moving Exchange To New Computer

Post by Thomas Masc » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

My company has outgrown our current Exchange Server and I am building a new
server to move them to.  I was hoping to be able to install NT 4.0 SP3 and
Exchange Server 5.0 SP1 on the new one then bring our old one down (NT 3.51
SP5 and Exchange 4.0 SP3).  Then when the new one came up I was going to
give it the same Organization Name and Site Name (already done earlier) and
then put back on all are clients with the same Windows NT accounts.

Will I run into any problems with this, is there stuff I should look out
for or will it be relatively painless.  Any input (positive or negative) is
appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas Masci
Premier Lending Corporation

Moving Exchange To New Computer

Post by Ken Wrigh » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Check out the two-part Disaster Recovery paper on Technet.  It goes into
great detail on how to do exactly what you want to do.

Regards,

Ken

Moving Exchange To New Computer

Post by Ray Sundstro » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

You can find the Exchange Backup and Restore white paper at
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/support/deployment/planning/deploy....
&B=1

When you have it downloaded, look for the 'forklift' method.

--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE

>Check out the two-part Disaster Recovery paper on Technet.  It goes into
>great detail on how to do exactly what you want to do.

>Regards,

>Ken

Moving Exchange To New Computer

Post by Darren Adam » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Be careful. I think you will find that you will need to install the same
version of EX with the same SP (i.e. EX v4 SP 3) and then use the DR paper
to restore the databases as describes. After that you can then upgrade to EX
v5 SP1.

>Check out the two-part Disaster Recovery paper on Technet.  It goes into
>great detail on how to do exactly what you want to do.

>Regards,

>Ken

1. Move Exchange to new computer with the same name

Hello-

KB article Q155216 States how to move exch. to a new computer with the
same name.

The steps to follow in this article are only valid if both computers
are on the same platform( Intel to Intel or Alpha to Alpha)

Does anyone have instructions to go Alpha to Intel to move Exch to a
new computer with the same name?

TIA
Luis

2. OWA & SSL

3. Moving Exchange to New Computer with Same Name

4. Browser Access for Exchange

5. NDR 5.3.3

6. Moving Exchange To New Computer

7. Weird Public Folder Problem

8. Moving Exchange to new computer

9. Moving Exchange To New Computer

10. Moving Exchange to new harware with new computer name

11. Use Microsoft Exchange Move Server Wizard to move server to a new computer

12. Moving Exchange to a New Computer