Exchange 4.0 outbound internet mail

Post by Marc Russel » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Are site has a new Exchange installation version 4.0 with service 2 & 3
installed. Exchange is running on NT Server 4.0 with service pack one.
The NT server is a Pentium 90Mhz with 48 MB of ram.

I setup the Internet mail connector for our organization and everything
is working except that outbound internet mail messages come back
undeliverable about 50% of the time. Our DNS is slow. I want to know how
Exchange handles DNS. Does it timeout if it doesn't resovle a name in x
seconds? If so can I expand it? I think its a DNS problem timing out,
but I could be wrong.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. If possible can you also

Exchange 4.0 outbound internet mail

Post by R. Andrew Web » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Exchange delivery will fail if the DNS query fails.  If you have slow DNS it might be better to configure your IMC to route all
your outbound mail through your ISP's mail host.  They don't even have to configure anything!  You just put the IP address (not the
DNS name) into the "Forward all messages to host:" box on the Connections tab of the IMC Properties page.  Now the IMC won't even
bother with DNS.  It will simply send the message out via the IMC to the ISP and let it deal with final delivery and DNS
resolution.

regards
Andy

Simpler-Webb, Inc.   Austin, TX            512-322-0071
     "The clue meter is reading zero..." - Dilbert

> Are site has a new Exchange installation version 4.0 with service 2 & 3
> installed. Exchange is running on NT Server 4.0 with service pack one.
> The NT server is a Pentium 90Mhz with 48 MB of ram.

> I setup the Internet mail connector for our organization and everything
> is working except that outbound internet mail messages come back
> undeliverable about 50% of the time. Our DNS is slow. I want to know how
> Exchange handles DNS. Does it timeout if it doesn't resovle a name in x
> seconds? If so can I expand it? I think its a DNS problem timing out,
> but I could be wrong.

> Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. If possible can you also

Exchange 4.0 outbound internet mail

Post by Lance O'Conno » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here are some other things to try, these came out of a Microsoft Technet
entry:

How do I make sure the Internet Mail Connector doesn't time-out when
sending messages over my low-bandwidth dial-up connection?

There are several registry values under the Internet Mail Connector
Parameters key
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentcontrolSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Paramete
rs) that control time-outs:

        SMTPRecvTimeout - waiting for packet transmission
        SMTPWaitForAck - waiting for OK response to a command sent to another host
        SMTPWaitForBanner - waiting for HELO banner from another SMTP host
        SMTPWaitForDataBlock - waiting for the termination to a DATA block
        SMTPWaitForDataInitation - waiting for the start of transfer of a data
block
        SMTPWaitForDataTermination - waiting for a response to the termination of
a data block
        SMTPWaitForMailFrom - waiting for a response to the FROM command
        SMTPWaitForRcpt - waiting for a response to the RCPT command.

These time-outs are specified in seconds.  If a time-out occurs, an event
will be written to the Windows NT event log.  If these time-outs occur
frequently, you may want to increase them.  In particular, the default
setting for SMTPWaitForDataBlock limits the data transrfer for a message to
10 minutes.  Over a low bandwidth line you may want to increase this value
to allow more time for large messages to transmit.

Regards,
Lance O'Connor
Concurrent Controls, Inc.
Technical Support

> Are site has a new Exchange installation version 4.0 with service 2 & 3
> installed. Exchange is running on NT Server 4.0 with service pack one.
> The NT server is a Pentium 90Mhz with 48 MB of ram.

> I setup the Internet mail connector for our organization and everything
> is working except that outbound internet mail messages come back
> undeliverable about 50% of the time. Our DNS is slow. I want to know how
> Exchange handles DNS. Does it timeout if it doesn't resovle a name in x
> seconds? If so can I expand it? I think its a DNS problem timing out,
> but I could be wrong.

> Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. If possible can you also

1. Mail failure inbound - outbound exchange 4.0

Hello,

When e-mail arrived at e-mail server from ISP and the

deliver the e-mail because he can'not find the recipient name due to wrong
user part of e-mail

are so.
The administrator can then forward the e-mail to the related user.
Unfortunately the message body is lost.
Is it normal case that the message body of the e-mail is lost ?
Can we keep the message body if delivery fault occur ?

--
Coign Andr

URL   : http:\\www.panasonic.be

2. Two easy questions

3. Internet Mail Service and Outbound SMTP mail

4. Extract user mailbox sizes into a file

5. Routing smtp outbound mail to internet mail service server

6. Exchange 5.0 with Web Access Client Problem with IE 3.02

7. Outbound mail restrictions i.e no internet mail

8. VS API Issue

9. Outbound Mailing Problems with Internet Mail Service

10. Outbound internet mail intercepted by exchange server

11. Installing Internet Mail Connector on Exchange 4.0

12. Exchange 4.0 Internet Mail

13. How to add Internet mail to Exchange 4.0 Client