How to setup Exchange to receive mail from server sent via MX Records ?

How to setup Exchange to receive mail from server sent via MX Records ?

Post by Stuart Macki » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:24:44

This may sound a very basic/pathetic question but I have to ask :).  I
temparily started out downloading email from my Domain from a POP3 account
using the SBS POP3 Connector.  i've requested that my Domain supplier alter
the primary MX record to point to my server and secondary record to my POP
account there as a backup.

Can anyone tell me what settings I need to alter to have Exchange accept
mail incoming from their server ?  I've opened the SMTP port on my firewall
but its really just whether I need to alter anything on Exchange itself ?
Should it make any difference Exchange is running my SMTP and POP3 access,
and Win2k Server is also hosting DNS.

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.

How to setup Exchange to receive mail from server sent via MX Records ?

Post by Lanwenc » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:43:09

You're close.... you want your primary MX record pointing to your server,
and the secondary should be pointing at the ISP's server for store & forward
(when your server is unavailable).  If they won't do this, find someone else
who will.

Set up a/the recipient policy to accept mail for this domain and create
whatever mailboxes you need. Make sure your ISP/DNS host can telnet into
your server on port 25. Uninstall the POP connector. Receive mail. Enjoy.

Quote:> This may sound a very basic/pathetic question but I have to ask :).  I
> temparily started out downloading email from my Domain from a POP3 account
> using the SBS POP3 Connector.  i've requested that my Domain supplier
alter
> the primary MX record to point to my server and secondary record to my POP
> account there as a backup.

> Can anyone tell me what settings I need to alter to have Exchange accept
> mail incoming from their server ?  I've opened the SMTP port on my
firewall
> but its really just whether I need to alter anything on Exchange itself ?
> Should it make any difference Exchange is running my SMTP and POP3 access,
> and Win2k Server is also hosting DNS.

> Thanks for any help,
> Stuart.

1. How to setup Exchange to receive mail from server sent via MX Records ?

This may sound a very basic/pathetic question but I have to ask :).  I
temparily started out downloading email from my Domain from a POP3 account
using the SBS POP3 Connector.  i've requested that my Domain supplier alter
the primary MX record to point to my server and secondary record to my POP
account there as a backup.

Can anyone tell me what settings I need to alter to have Exchange accept
mail incoming from their server ?  I've opened the SMTP port on my firewall
but its really just whether I need to alter anything on Exchange itself ?
Should it make any difference Exchange is running my SMTP and POP3 access,
and Win2k Server is also hosting DNS.

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.

2. contact list is not availeable at address book

3. Send to domain with no MX record works for other mail servers, not Exchange 5.5

4. Not able to use a local copy of the GAL

5. What 's MX record?Where store MX record?Auto?Manul

6. Exchange Server Locking Up

7. Collect and retrieve email on 3rd MX record in case of primary MX record fails

8. delete mail permissions URGENT !!

9. Mail via MX record and an ISP

10. E2k will not send to recipients that have MX records referencing CNAME records

11. Test receiving Internet mail without mx record

12. DNS-MX record setup- inbound/outbound mail problems

13. HOW TO MAKE BACKUP EXCHANGE SRV VIA SECOND MX RECORD