PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO EXCHANGE SERVER

Post by David Trip » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

We've recently migrated to MS Exchange 5.0 from MS Mail.  Exchange Server
now sits on a PDC running MS Proxy.  Users located locally can connect to
Exchange without issue.  Users located remotely have intermittent success
doing so.  Some get on, while others will not.  We've even experienced the
same machine being able to log on once, then unable to logon at a later
time.  Clients have been configured with DHCP and static IP addresses.
Neither setting seems to make a difference.  We've tried stopping Proxy
services to see if this would make a difference and found that it didn't.
We are running TCP/IP on NT Server 4.0.  The NT server is setup as Primary
WINS server.  When viewing the NT WINS database, the Exchange Server appears
correctly.

Error messages received on the client are -

MS Exchange could not be started.  Network problems are preventing
connection to the MS Exchange server computer.

Also -

Your MS Exchange server is unavailable.....

Does anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions?

--

PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO EXCHANGE SERVER

Post by Dave Fishe » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

To run PDC, WINS, MS Proxy AND be an Exchange server this better be one
HE-UGE machine...
It's going to be far too busy with everything else to try and sort out slow
Exchange client connectivity...

Post by jo.. » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> To run PDC, WINS, MS Proxy AND be an Exchange server this better be one
> HE-UGE machine...
> It's going to be far too busy with everything else to try and sort out slow
> Exchange client connectivity...

I would suggest to try it without wins on the same machine.
Ive had some problems with this too.

PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO EXCHANGE SERVER

Post by Michael Holcom » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm having the same problem, I don't have WINS running on the same server
but I do have RAS running on my exchange server, I also notice that remote
clients pause for about 1 minute after connecting before actually sending
mail. Are your remote clients using cellular modems or land lines, on my
system land lines work fine.

you might try swaping out the modems on your RAS server, they can cause
problems like your describing.

Quote:> We've recently migrated to MS Exchange 5.0 from MS Mail.  Exchange Server
> now sits on a PDC running MS Proxy.  Users located locally can connect to
> Exchange without issue.  Users located remotely have intermittent success
> doing so.  Some get on, while others will not.  We've even experienced
the
> same machine being able to log on once, then unable to logon at a later
> time.  Clients have been configured with DHCP and static IP addresses.
> Neither setting seems to make a difference.  We've tried stopping Proxy
> services to see if this would make a difference and found that it didn't.
> We are running TCP/IP on NT Server 4.0.  The NT server is setup as
Primary
> WINS server.  When viewing the NT WINS database, the Exchange Server
appears
> correctly.

PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO EXCHANGE SERVER

Post by Valentin Sliouniae » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Here's something that might help.

After spending *some* time, I think I know what's going on. It looks like the
client uses only host name to establich an IP connection.

First of all, make a quick check of your configuration: in the client computer,
try from the command line
    pint <mailserver>
where <mailserver> is the name of you exchange server as it appears in the user
configurarion. It must me a single name, line "mailserver", not
"mailserver.company.com". If ping spends more than half a second resolving the
name to IP address, there is trouble. The exhcange client connection time is
directly proportional to the time ping needs to resolve name to the IP address.
Fix your DHCP+DNS (=DNS+WINS) if this doesn't work.

And here is the diagnose:

Imagine that one has a computer named MAILSERVER, which has an internet name
"mail.company.com". During the set-up, you specify mail.company.com, but then
when the user name is checked, that changes to the MAILSERVER. Next time the
user tries to use this setup, it tries to resolve MAILSERVER to an IP address to
connect to.

When the user is on the internal network, it's OK, because via DHCP, the client
is configued to be in the company.com domain, and WINS+DNS provide the
"mailserver" host in this domain.

Now, when the same user tries to connect via an ISP, the exchange client
(Outlook) still tries to resolve "mailserver" to an IP address. But this time,
because it is connected to the ISP, the computer may have different domain,
etc., so that "mailserver" is not resolved to the right IP address and
connection does not work.

So, here are the questions:
    - how to set-up a client to use the full internet address
(mail.mycompany.com), not just a computer name?
    - how to make it possible to use two IP addresses, in case when the client
sometimes connects from the internal private network, and sometimes via the
Internet using an ISP (different IP address for the same computer)??

---
Valentin Sliouniaev
POINT Information Systems
tel: +353 (1) 6020 100