Need suggestions about Exchange server swap

Need suggestions about Exchange server swap

Post by gigawat » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

To make a long story short.  Our current exchange server was installed 3
years ago.  Needless to say, this box is sloooow, and is running out of disk
space in a hurry.
The new server is here and ready to go.  Here's the problem:
the old box is not only the Exchange server, but is also the PDC, DHCP, and
WINS server.  To eliminate client problems after the swap, I'd like to just
give all these functions to the new box also (to get things running).  I'll
worry about breaking these functions apart later.

I've read the Microsoft server move method for boxes with the same name.
Are there any readers out there who have done something similar, and have
suggestions about where major complications may occur?  I know I'll have to
promote another BDC to PDC temporarily, and copy the stores to a third box
before bringing the server offline.  I would appreciate any tips....

Need suggestions about Exchange server swap

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> To make a long story short.  Our current exchange server was installed 3
> years ago.  Needless to say, this box is sloooow, and is running out of
disk
> space in a hurry.
> The new server is here and ready to go.  Here's the problem:
> the old box is not only the Exchange server, but is also the PDC, DHCP,
and
> WINS server.  To eliminate client problems after the swap, I'd like to
just
> give all these functions to the new box also (to get things running).
I'll
> worry about breaking these functions apart later.

> I've read the Microsoft server move method for boxes with the same name.
> Are there any readers out there who have done something similar, and have
> suggestions about where major complications may occur?  I know I'll have
> promote another BDC to PDC temporarily, and copy the stores to a third box
> before bringing the server offline.  I would appreciate any tips....

    Why bother with the server names?  Unless you have something else, like
SQL Server running, then bring up another server in the same site and use
the Move Mailbox command to transfer the mailboxes.  The clients, if they're
using the Exchange Server service in Outlook to connect, will have their
profiles updated automatically and transparently.  Read the Ed Crowley Move
Server Method at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxa.htm for
step-by-step instructions on moving everybody to a new server.
    The only potential problem is with the DHCP leases.  What I would do is
gradually shorten the leases to, say, 8 hours, and then shut down the old
DHCP server on Friday evening and bring up the new server (ditto for WINS).
As users come in on Monday morning, their leases will have expired.  They
will then wind up getting new leases from the new server.

Need suggestions about Exchange server swap

Post by Randy Le » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:37:18

I've been through this situation.  What you need to do is setup the new box
with an exchange server then join it to the existing site.  Afterward, just
move all the mailbox to the new exchange server.  Also point everything else
to the new exchange server as well.  When you're done, you can turn off the
older exchange server and get it of it.  Make sure that the new server is a
BDC so you can provide authentication.  Last, just add all the services back
in and configure it the same way.

> > To make a long story short.  Our current exchange server was installed 3
> > years ago.  Needless to say, this box is sloooow, and is running out of
> disk
> > space in a hurry.
> > The new server is here and ready to go.  Here's the problem:
> > the old box is not only the Exchange server, but is also the PDC, DHCP,
> and
> > WINS server.  To eliminate client problems after the swap, I'd like to
> just
> > give all these functions to the new box also (to get things running).
> I'll
> > worry about breaking these functions apart later.

> > I've read the Microsoft server move method for boxes with the same name.
> > Are there any readers out there who have done something similar, and
have
> > suggestions about where major complications may occur?  I know I'll have
> > promote another BDC to PDC temporarily, and copy the stores to a third
box
> > before bringing the server offline.  I would appreciate any tips....

>     Why bother with the server names?  Unless you have something else,
like
> SQL Server running, then bring up another server in the same site and use
> the Move Mailbox command to transfer the mailboxes.  The clients, if
they're
> using the Exchange Server service in Outlook to connect, will have their
> profiles updated automatically and transparently.  Read the Ed Crowley
Move
> Server Method at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxa.htm for
> step-by-step instructions on moving everybody to a new server.
>     The only potential problem is with the DHCP leases.  What I would do
is
> gradually shorten the leases to, say, 8 hours, and then shut down the old
> DHCP server on Friday evening and bring up the new server (ditto for
WINS).
> As users come in on Monday morning, their leases will have expired.  They
> will then wind up getting new leases from the new server.

1. Server scripting suggestion needed

We have the need for an in-house implementation of server side scripting
on 5.5.  Perhaps others have needed or performed something similar.  I'd
be interested in hearing anyone's suggestions, as I've not found what I
need so far.

We have a few teams that carry pagers for support purposes.  Each person
in each team takes one rotation.  The scheduling of the rotations is
performed by a custom VB application that makes Event entries in a public
folder calendar.

To assist the process, I would like to update a Custom Recipient SMTP
address with the alphanumeric pager information of the active person each
time the schedule changes.

To clarify, each time the schedule changes as the days roll by,
automatically sync a Custom Recipient such as "Network Support On-Call".
If Jim is scheduled to take call next Monday at 9 am, a server side
script would update the Custom Recipient.  The Custom Recipient would be
updated again automatically at the next rotation scheduled in the
calendar.

Any real names were replaced with fictitious ones to protect the
innocent. :)

Thanks In Advance.

--

Director, Information Technology                Kastle Systems, LLC
                                                (703) 528-8800

2. URGENT HELP NEEDED!

3. Need suggestions for spam filter at server.

4. No longer have the right to administer Exchange Server 5.5

5. Server scripting suggestion needed

6. Attachments showing up as 0KB

7. To all you Exchange wizards - an outlook calendar problem

8. Exchange backup software suggestion needed

9. Need autosignature software for exchange - any suggestions

10. Exchange 2000 Backup Suggestions (Is brick level needed?)

11. Installing Exchange 2000 (needs suggestions)

12. Need suggestion on Auto Reply Message on Exchange 5.5