Urgent!!! Help setting up IMS on Exchange 5.0

Urgent!!! Help setting up IMS on Exchange 5.0

Post by Jason Burrel » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:24:32

Hello All! - I am in the midst of getting a T1 (Provide by our Phone
Company)installed with a new Cisco Router and A Firewall Unit...Currently We
have Exchange server 5.0 running on a PDC (NT 4.0 sp6) used for "In-House
Mail" ...   We now want to set up Internet Mail Services on the Exchange 5.0
Server...  I know we need a static IP from our ISP, but how does the PDC
running Exchange 5.0 need to be configured with this ISP assigned IP Address
since it already has one - 192.XXX.XXX??? I also know the ISP must create a
MX record Prior to set up and A Domain name Registered to our Business...
Does the PDC  running Exchange 5.0 need to include the assigned IP address
from the ISP in the "Installed Gateway Section" under Network Properties???
Any DNS Entries provided by the ISP??? What's really confusing me is the IP
Address thing... My gut feeling tells me that Exchange 5.0 should be running
on a member server with a Static IP address provided by the ISP and
configured so that it can be pinged by IP and by Name on the LAN...  If
setting up IMS on the PDC/Exchange Server can't be done, My only cheap and
easy option that I can come up with is to Configure a POP3/SMTP mail server
(Not using Exchange 5.0 but another 3rd party software) on the network and
configure on the client side the appropriate pop3 and smtp entries that
point to this Mail Server... - This I believe would work fine for users on
the LAN but I think it would pose a problem for Remote Access users (RAS
server resides on PDC and Clients connect Via Dial-Up).  I am not sure a
Dial-up connection to Our PDC Server will allow Internet Mail to be routed
to the Remote Access users eventhough POP3 and SMTP settings  Pointing  to
the Mail server on the LAN are Configured on their end... Any help or Advice
on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Jason

Urgent!!! Help setting up IMS on Exchange 5.0

Post by Chri » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:45:43

I sent you an email with a suggestion. Did it help even a little?

here it is again, despite the obvious security holes:

I did the same thing for a client recently (a week ago actually).
Although they are running 5.5
They are also using a Lucent router.
What I did, and you'll have interpret this into your scenario, is the
following:

1. Any router provided by an ISP has a public IP address.
2. I had the ISP create three port forwards in the router. Ports 25,
80, and 110. (these are the default Outlook Web Access ports. drop
port 80 if you wish to deny web access. POP3 and SMTP are the other
two ports).
3. To put it simply: Any traffic on ports 25, 80, and 110 hitting the
router at 43.xx.xx.xx will point directly to the internal exchange box
at 192.xx.xx.xx.
4. Once that was done, I had the ISP add the router IP address to the
MX record.
5. And I was quite surprised when it all worked out. This being my
first one and all :-)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:24:32 -0600, "Jason Burrell"

>Hello All! - I am in the midst of getting a T1 (Provide by our Phone
>Company)installed with a new Cisco Router and A Firewall Unit...Currently We
>have Exchange server 5.0 running on a PDC (NT 4.0 sp6) used for "In-House
>Mail" ...   We now want to set up Internet Mail Services on the Exchange 5.0
>Server...  I know we need a static IP from our ISP, but how does the PDC
>running Exchange 5.0 need to be configured with this ISP assigned IP Address
>since it already has one - 192.XXX.XXX??? I also know the ISP must create a
>MX record Prior to set up and A Domain name Registered to our Business...
>Does the PDC  running Exchange 5.0 need to include the assigned IP address
>from the ISP in the "Installed Gateway Section" under Network Properties???
>Any DNS Entries provided by the ISP??? What's really confusing me is the IP
>Address thing... My gut feeling tells me that Exchange 5.0 should be running
>on a member server with a Static IP address provided by the ISP and
>configured so that it can be pinged by IP and by Name on the LAN...  If
>setting up IMS on the PDC/Exchange Server can't be done, My only cheap and
>easy option that I can come up with is to Configure a POP3/SMTP mail server
>(Not using Exchange 5.0 but another 3rd party software) on the network and
>configure on the client side the appropriate pop3 and smtp entries that
>point to this Mail Server... - This I believe would work fine for users on
>the LAN but I think it would pose a problem for Remote Access users (RAS
>server resides on PDC and Clients connect Via Dial-Up).  I am not sure a
>Dial-up connection to Our PDC Server will allow Internet Mail to be routed
>to the Remote Access users eventhough POP3 and SMTP settings  Pointing  to
>the Mail server on the LAN are Configured on their end... Any help or Advice
>on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

>Thanks,
>Jason

Remove "YoMammy" from the address to send mail.

Urgent!!! Help setting up IMS on Exchange 5.0

Post by Mark Reardo » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 02:17:27

Hi,

Not sure you have a response to this yet, but, here you go.

Don't worry it sounds more complicated than it is.
Basically if your ISP has given you say 5 (typical
handout) static IP's, you will have more than enough. Most
likely your ISP is going to handle the MX record, you just
have to tell them which IP you want to use. The PDC does
not need to be reconfigured, except maybe an altaddr if
you have other services running. The altaddr is necessary
when you NAT, is used for return communication, say with
Terminal/Citrix implementations, as well as others.
Depending on your firewall of choice, your basically just
going to set a route through the firewall matching an
outside IP to the internal IP of the PDC/Exchange server.
On the firewall open up SMTP, POP3, and if your going to
allow Outlook to attach to the server externally, than add
the following ports: 1225, 1226, 1227 and 135. This also
requires a registry hack on the server (Outlook to work
remotely that is).  As for remote users, as long as there
authenticating on the domain, and you supply the address,
via dhcp, and wins is running, you shouldn't have any
issues with this. I don't believe you will require another
server or OS to implement what your doing.

If you run into any problems feel free to respond to my
Email. We run a similar configuration where I am. Although
we are Win2k, its relatively the same. We just have to
worry about DNS issues. =)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello All! - I am in the midst of getting a T1 (Provide
by our Phone
>Company)installed with a new Cisco Router and A Firewall
Unit...Currently We
>have Exchange server 5.0 running on a PDC (NT 4.0 sp6)
used for "In-House
>Mail" ...   We now want to set up Internet Mail Services
on the Exchange 5.0
>Server...  I know we need a static IP from our ISP, but
how does the PDC
>running Exchange 5.0 need to be configured with this ISP
assigned IP Address
>since it already has one - 192.XXX.XXX??? I also know the
ISP must create a
>MX record Prior to set up and A Domain name Registered to
our Business...
>Does the PDC  running Exchange 5.0 need to include the
assigned IP address
>from the ISP in the "Installed Gateway Section" under

Network Properties???
Quote:>Any DNS Entries provided by the ISP??? What's really

confusing me is the IP
Quote:>Address thing... My gut feeling tells me that Exchange

5.0 should be running
Quote:>on a member server with a Static IP address provided by
the ISP and
>configured so that it can be pinged by IP and by Name on
the LAN...  If
>setting up IMS on the PDC/Exchange Server can't be done,
My only cheap and
>easy option that I can come up with is to Configure a

POP3/SMTP mail server
Quote:>(Not using Exchange 5.0 but another 3rd party software)
on the network and
>configure on the client side the appropriate pop3 and
smtp entries that
>point to this Mail Server... - This I believe would work
fine for users on
>the LAN but I think it would pose a problem for Remote
Access users (RAS
>server resides on PDC and Clients connect Via Dial-Up).
I am not sure a
>Dial-up connection to Our PDC Server will allow Internet
Mail to be routed
>to the Remote Access users eventhough POP3 and SMTP

settings  Pointing  to

Quote:>the Mail server on the LAN are Configured on their end...
Any help or Advice
>on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

>Thanks,
>Jason

>.

1. Exchange 5.0 IMS to Exchange 5.0 IMS.

How do I dequeue messages from an Exchange running SMTP (Site A) using
another Exchange running IMS(Site B)?
What's the dequeue command for Exchange 5.0? Or is there any?

At the moment, I had to route messages from Site A to the Site B and do a
mail forwarding (thru dial-up) from Site B to Site A. Does anyone know how
to just do one dial-up to retrieve and send mail?

Kevin Lew
System / IS Engineer
Asia Connect Sdn Bhd

2. ASP 0115 Error

3. evnet ID 4083 urgent, urgent, urgent......help, help....very urgent

4. Deleted Mail Problem

5. Setting up IMS on Exchange server 5.0 running on NT 4.0 sp6

6. blocked list service

7. Intermittent dial-ups with IMS

8. Code Pages

9. Problem setting up IMS (Exch 5.0 / Win2k)

10. Intermittent dial-ups with IMS

11. Generic email set-ups possible?