Renaming Machine Name

Post by Robert Barnar » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I installed Exchange 5.5 on a new server on in our domain for evaluation as
a test organisation, leaving our 4.0 server untouched.  I then uninstalled
exchange 5.5, unplugged the 4.0 server from the network,  renamed the new
server(to the old server name, so that I don't have to change the clients)
and tried to reinstall 5.5.  However 5.5 will not reinstall

Any suggestions?

Renaming Machine Name

Post by Robin Hepbur » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Here are more details of the problem:-
Existing scenario:
NT 3.51 with Exchange 4 and site connectors to 3 other sites - central
UK
server name \\ISLEWORTH (PDC).

Test:
As a test (of Exchange version compatibility) I installed Exchange 5.5
on a
new NT4  server called \\SERVER2 a BDC on our LAN.  I configured this
server
as part of our existing Exchange ORGANISATION but with a different SITE
name.  I was able to communicate between servers using the site
connector
and directory replication on both servers (Exchange 4 & Exchange 5.5).

Requirement:
Having tested this successfuly I then took steps to replace our existing

Exchange server with our new server.  To prevent me needing to change
the
remote servers and clients I promoted another server to PDC & took our
existing \\ISLEWORTH server off the network and renamed the new server
this name.  I then attempted to reinstall Exchange 5.5 to the same
server,
the only difference being a new server name.  This failed.

Failure Message:
Exchange setup installed all software and loaded most services OK.  When
it
got to the section entitled "Installing other services" the setup fails
as
it could not start Microsoft Exchange MTA service.  "The service did not

respond to  the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Setup could not continue, software was automatically removed.

I have a vaild exchange-service account set up in the domain and have
tried
removing the redundant services from the registry before reinstalling
but so
far I have been unable to identify the cause of this problem.  Could
there
be somewhere else in the registry where the previous server name is
being
stored and this is interfering with the new installation?

I have more detailed error messages and event log entries should you
require
them.

Since then I have removed all keys with references to 'exchange' or
'ESE97'
from the registry, installed NT4 sp3 again, promoted new \\isleworth to
PDC and rerun the setup (with the same result).

The exact error message I get is in a windows box entitled "MICROSOFT
EXCHANGE SERVER SETUP" the error text is "While attempting to start the
Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer service the following error was
encountered.
The service did respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.
Microsoft Windows NT
ID No: 0xc002041d

> [...]

EXCHANGE SERVER SETUP" the error text is "While attempting to start the
Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer service the following error was
encountered.
The service did respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.
Microsoft Windows NT
ID No: 0xc002041d

> I installed Exchange 5.5 on a new server on in our domain for
> evaluation as
> a test organisation, leaving our 4.0 server untouched.  I then
> uninstalled
> exchange 5.5, unplugged the 4.0 server from the network,  renamed the
> new
> server(to the old server name, so that I don't have to change the
> clients)
> and tried to reinstall 5.5.  However 5.5 will not reinstall

1. Rename Exchange Server Name (along with Machine name) after installation

Hi all;
Is it possible to install Exchange 5.5 SP3 on a member server ( or BDC)
named "SERVER_A" and then later change the server name (and Exchange server
name) to "SERVER_B" ? The reason is that I'm setting aother server to be
added to the domain as a production server and would like to use it as a
backup Exchange server when needed. In case the existing Exchange server
machine crashed, I would like to be able to rename this server and dump the
backup tape and bring up Exchange services in a short period of time.
I can state the same Organization and Site name, but not server name during
the installation of Exchange. Is there any way to work around this?
Thanks
Bill

2. New I.S., take data from old large I.S.

3. MS Exchange Server Connector for Novell GroupWise

4. Renaming org, site AND machine name

5. Document Manage rExchange

6. Renaming Exchange v4 Server Windows NT Machine Name

7. web outlook

8. Only the domain name for the email server instead of machine name .domain name/exchange

9. Exchange 2000 backup and install in a new machine with different machine name

10. rename display name department name several mail boxes

11. Renaming Site Name and the Container Name In Exchange 5.5

12. Changing machine name & domain name