Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by AwAwIhcIh » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 06:32:59

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before. I would appreciate any
(urgent) help though ...

I'm no expert on Exchange, so please give me any easy way out you might have
:D

Currently running Exchange Server 5.5 on domain A.

End result should be Exchange Server 2000 on domain B, however containgin
all accounts and mailboxes of the original one.

1) I have yet to find an easy way to move the whole thing to a different
server in a different site. (Moving mailboxes only seems to work in the same
site)

2) Upgrading our 5.5 to 2000 appears to be not as simple as any other
update. Is there a clear step by step documentation on this? (Kinda for
newbies?) How to approach, what to do, what to consider???

Anything that could help me out would be grately appreciated!!!

Kris

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by Andy Web » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:49:02

Two Exchange servers can be in separate domains, but in the same site.

-- Way to go USPS Cycling Team and Lance Armstrong!! --

Quote:> I don't know if this topic has been discussed before. I would appreciate
any
> (urgent) help though ...

> I'm no expert on Exchange, so please give me any easy way out you might
have
> :D

> Currently running Exchange Server 5.5 on domain A.

> End result should be Exchange Server 2000 on domain B, however containgin
> all accounts and mailboxes of the original one.

> 1) I have yet to find an easy way to move the whole thing to a different
> server in a different site. (Moving mailboxes only seems to work in the
same
> site)

> 2) Upgrading our 5.5 to 2000 appears to be not as simple as any other
> update. Is there a clear step by step documentation on this? (Kinda for
> newbies?) How to approach, what to do, what to consider???

> Anything that could help me out would be grately appreciated!!!

> Kris

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by AwAwIhcIh » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:23:31

Any good documentation somewhere on how exactly to do it ?

> Two Exchange servers can be in separate domains, but in the same site.
> --

> -- Way to go USPS Cycling Team and Lance Armstrong!! --

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by Andy Web » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:10:59

Not that I know of.  You will use the same service account on both systems,
so the domains will need to trust each other so that the Exchange services
on DomainB can run as DomainA\Exservice.  You'll need to have both DNS and
WINS set up so that both domains can see each other.  Past that it's just
Exchange.

-- Way to go USPS Cycling Team and Lance Armstrong!! --

> Any good documentation somewhere on how exactly to do it ?

> > Two Exchange servers can be in separate domains, but in the same site.
> > --

> > -- Way to go USPS Cycling Team and Lance Armstrong!! --

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by Graeme Mosedal » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:30:01

I am a littel confused.  Do you just have multiple domains but 1 Exchange
org with multiple sites or 1 exchange org with a single site?

> I don't know if this topic has been discussed before. I would appreciate
any
> (urgent) help though ...

> I'm no expert on Exchange, so please give me any easy way out you might
have
> :D

> Currently running Exchange Server 5.5 on domain A.

> End result should be Exchange Server 2000 on domain B, however containgin
> all accounts and mailboxes of the original one.

> 1) I have yet to find an easy way to move the whole thing to a different
> server in a different site. (Moving mailboxes only seems to work in the
same
> site)

> 2) Upgrading our 5.5 to 2000 appears to be not as simple as any other
> update. Is there a clear step by step documentation on this? (Kinda for
> newbies?) How to approach, what to do, what to consider???

> Anything that could help me out would be grately appreciated!!!

> Kris

Migrate exchange server 5.5 to different server, different domain

Post by AwAwIhcIh » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 05:45:30

We currently have 1 domain and an Exchange 5.5 with one site, one server

We are installing a new Win 2K server in a new domain. We want to move the
Exhange to the new server and new domain. It'll still be Just one site, one
server as far as exchange is concerned.

How do we easily :

A) Move mailboxes from one domain to another

B) Upgrade to Exchange 2000

Don't know if this clarifies it for you?

Quote:> I am a littel confused.  Do you just have multiple domains but 1 Exchange
> org with multiple sites or 1 exchange org with a single site?

1. migrate an exchange 55 server to exchange 2000, different domains

I would like to migrate an exchange 55 server to exchange 2000, the only
problem is 55 is in a NT4 domain say (domain1) and exchange 2000 needs to be
loaded in to (domain 2) which is a new domain that's been done, and all
users and resources will be moved from domain 1 to domain 2 once its
completed and is stable

I know you can load 2000 in to an existing 55 dom. but as far as I know,
this can only bee done when you migrate via the pdc - 2000 ad route and load
2000 in to an existing exchange dom.

2. Connecting clients over the Internet? Help please.

3. Migrating mailboxes from a different Domain, different site, different organization, different server.

4. IMS and Diagnostic Logging

5. Moving Exchange 5.5 to different server and different platform

6. Problems mounting public store

7. MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

8. Outlook 2000 Loaded on my Exchange Server. Anything wrong with this?

9. Migrating Exchange Server to a different machine within the domain

10. Easiest way to migrate 5.5 from One NT4 domain to a different Win2k domain

11. Migrate Exchange 5 to 5.5 different servers

12. Server showing up as two different servers with different names