Exchange trying to send Internet Mail via MSMail transport

Exchange trying to send Internet Mail via MSMail transport

Post by Richard Coop » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I posted this question before to m.p.e.connectivity and got no replies
(presumably not enough info) but we run Exchange Server 4.0 and have recently
had to reinstall after a major hard-disk failure.

The problem now is that although everything appears to work, half of our
outgoing emails are not being sent. The user simply gets a 'Non delivery
report' message with no other info. I have checked the logs and they report
that the server can't find a MSMail user for delivery even though the address
is clearly an Internet address.

Doe anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this?

Thanks
Ric

Exchange trying to send Internet Mail via MSMail transport

Post by nobod » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I've had the same problem, but only with people that are both in the
postoffice address list (msmail) and my contacts list (inet mail). seems if
the name is exactly the same it tries to send via msmail.  if i modify one
of the senders names (add a middl initial) it works fine. appears that is
does a lookup on name when and selects the transport provider of the forst
address type that matches the name.

ken h

Quote:> I posted this question before to m.p.e.connectivity and got no replies
> (presumably not enough info) but we run Exchange Server 4.0 and have
recently
> had to reinstall after a major hard-disk failure.

> The problem now is that although everything appears to work, half of our
> outgoing emails are not being sent. The user simply gets a 'Non delivery
> report' message with no other info. I have checked the logs and they
report
> that the server can't find a MSMail user for delivery even though the
address
> is clearly an Internet address.

> Doe anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this?

> Thanks
> Ric

1. No Transport Provider when receive email via Exchange Client and reply via Internet Mail Client

We are using MS Exchange 5.5, for laptop users, they got 2 outlook
profile. In the office, we set them up using MS Exchange Client with
message delivery to personal folder. When they access remotely
(dialup), we set them up using Internet mail pointing to the same
personal folder.

The problem we encountered is:

When somebody within the office send message to laptop user, and the
laptop users read those message in the office (i.e. via Exchange
client), when they try to reply to this receieved message during
remote dialup, they got an error message saying 'No Transport Provider
for this receipent......'. If they reply the message by re-typing the
complete email address, it will send.

It seems to me the Exchange Client and Internet Mail client treat the
reply-to address differently. Exchange keep the 'user name' as reply
to and Internet mail keep the 'email address' as reply to. Are there
anyway to force Exchange 5.5 to keep the complete email address as
'reply to' especially when the 'deliver to' destination is a personal
folder that probably might used by Internet Mail client ??

Any help most appreciated. B.Rgds/KL

2. Exchange 5.5 and a Unix Relay for a smooth migration?

3. Exchange server not connected to internet trying to send internet mail

4. Can't Install Sample Applications

5. How to send Internet Mail using Exchange Transport!!

6. purged user accounts...

7. Sending Internet mail from MSMail through Exchange 5.0

8. Block incoming email

9. Outlook internet transport with MSMail

10. MsMail message with attachments to Internet via Exchange

11. no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

12. Exchange 2000 wont send internet mail via virtual SMTP server

13. Via Exchange, Outlook Express will not send to internet mail addresses