I am in the boat next to you. There are several posts on the newsgroups
about migrating and moving Exchange servers to get to 5.5. Here is what I
have gathered and it seems pretty safe:
1) Upgrade the existing Exchanger server to 5.5 (suppose to be simple)
2) Install new server to the same site
3) Replicate all public folders to both servers
4) Change the Home server for all public folders to the new server
5) Stop replicating public folders
6) Move each and every mailbox to the new server (tedious but safe)
7) Make sure all mailboxes work ok
8) Install the internet mail connector on new server and make sure it
9) Delete the Internet mail connector on the old server and make sure
mail is being sent and received.
Warning: Don't immediately remove the olde server. Others were talking
about a slow migration for the clients switching from the old server to
the new server.
Look at Q152959 in order to remove the old server from the site...
Let me know if you find anything else!
Pacific Edge Software
> Hi everyone:
> I installed MS Exchange 5.0 on a test machine a 18 months back. It has
> very beneficial to my company of 70 so far.
> Now I want to move exchange server to a better machine (Dell PowerEdge)
> and I have bought 5.5 upgrade as well. How can I do the transfer without
> disrupting existing system.
> I am backing up Exchange with Backup Exec Exchange connector. I will like
> to keep the same server name so I donot have to change exchange server name
> at all client machines. I will like to restore all data from backup to
> I donot need two exchange servers at our site.
> Please help. Thank you in advance.
> Sunny Singh
> Century Die Company
> 419 332 2693 ext.12