Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Post by Sunny Sing » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone:

I installed MS Exchange 5.0 on a test machine  a 18 months back. It has
been
very beneficial to my company of 70 so far.

Now I want to move exchange server to a better machine (Dell PowerEdge)
and I have bought 5.5 upgrade as well.  How can I do the transfer without
disrupting existing system.

I am backing up Exchange with Backup Exec Exchange connector.  I will like
to keep the same server name so I donot have to change exchange server name
at all client machines.  I will like to restore all data from backup to
machine.

I donot need two exchange servers at our site.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Sunny Singh
Century Die Company
419 332 2693 ext.12

Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Post by Chris Unsicke » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello...

I'm in almost the exact same situation you are - I want to put Exchange
Server on a machine with some horsepower, and bump it up to 5.5sp2 at the
same time.  We've also got an MS-Mail server running and are using the
MS-Mail/Exchange connector to connect the two postoffice for Free/Busy info
and to maintain the GAL, just to complicate the issue.

What I'm going to _try_ is using PowerQuest Drive Image to create an image
of the current exchange server, apply that image to a new PC, deal with the
hardware mis-matches, then go ahead and apply the upgrade and service pack.

I'm using pretty basic hardware in both systems, including identical NIC's,
so hopefully there won't be too many issues with this, but any
suggestions/caveats appreciated!

Chris

<...deletia...>

Quote:>Now I want to move exchange server to a better machine (Dell PowerEdge)
>and I have bought 5.5 upgrade as well.  How can I do the transfer without
>disrupting existing system.

Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Post by Joh » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am in the boat next to you. There are several posts on the newsgroups
about migrating and moving Exchange servers to get to 5.5. Here is what I
have gathered and it seems pretty safe:

1) Upgrade the existing Exchanger server to 5.5 (suppose to be simple)
2) Install new server to the same site
3) Replicate all public folders to both servers
4) Change the Home server for all public folders to the new server
5) Stop replicating public folders
6) Move each and every mailbox to the new server (tedious but safe)
7) Make sure all mailboxes work ok
8) Install the internet mail connector on new server and make sure it
works
9) Delete the Internet mail connector on the old server and make sure
mail is being sent and received.

Warning: Don't immediately remove the olde server. Others were talking
about a slow migration for the clients switching from the old server to
the new server.

Look at Q152959 in order to remove the old server from the site...

Let me know if you find anything else!

John Benton
Pacific Edge Software
http://www.projectoffice.com

> Hi everyone:

> I installed MS Exchange 5.0 on a test machine  a 18 months back. It has
> been
> very beneficial to my company of 70 so far.

> Now I want to move exchange server to a better machine (Dell PowerEdge)
> and I have bought 5.5 upgrade as well.  How can I do the transfer without
> disrupting existing system.

> I am backing up Exchange with Backup Exec Exchange connector.  I will like
> to keep the same server name so I donot have to change exchange server name
> at all client machines.  I will like to restore all data from backup to
> machine.

> I donot need two exchange servers at our site.

> Please help. Thank you in advance.

> Sunny Singh
> Century Die Company
> 419 332 2693 ext.12

Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Post by Jo Clae » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am tiying this. But the old-server is bold in my exchange administring
program and the new one is not bold. I also can't click delete on the old
server. What am I doing wrong ?

Jo Claes

1. Move existing Exchange 5.0 to New machine and upgrade to 5.5

Hi everyone:

I installed MS Exchange 5.0 on a test machine  a 18 months back. It has
been
very beneficial to my company of 70 so far.

Now I want to move exchange server to a better machine (Dell PowerEdge)
and I have bought 5.5 upgrade as well.  How can I do the transfer without
disrupting existing system.

I am backing up Exchange with Backup Exec Exchange connector.  I will like
to keep the same server name so I donot have to change exchange server name
at all client machines.  I will like to restore all data from backup to
machine.

I donot need two exchange servers at our site.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Sunny Singh
Century Die Company
419 332 2693 ext.12

2. Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000

3. Logon on credentials keep failing

4. auditing old mail

5. Exchange 5.0 to 5.5 upgrade on new machine

6. System Administrator: Undelivirable...Can't mail outside, incoming mail is ok..

7. Exchange 5.0 - 5.5 upgrade to new machine

8. Move exchange server 5.0 to new machine with 5.5

9. How to move exchang 4.0 to new machine and upgrade to 5.5

10. Moving Exchange from Old Machine to New NT Installed on New Machine

11. Moving Existing Exchange Server to a new machine