Exchaneg Server 5.0 File SHARES?

Post by Jon Peterso » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20

I noticed on our Exchange 5.0 SP1 Server, it created shares named:
ADD-INS
ADDRESS
RESOURCES
TRACKING.LOG

These give Everybody READ permissions.  Is this neccessary?  We are running
the Outlook Web Client.

------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">I noticed on our Exchange 5.0 SP1 =
Server, it created shares =
give Everybody READ permissions. &nbsp;Is this neccessary? &nbsp;We are =
running the Outlook Web Client. &nbsp;</p>
------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20--

Exchaneg Server 5.0 File SHARES?

Post by David Sapery [MVP JS » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm not sure about ADD-INS, RESOURCES, and TRACKING.LOG, but ADDRESS is
absolutely needed.
--
David
______________________________

(703) 518-2400 ext. 2123
http://www.paradigms.com

----------

Exchaneg Server 5.0 File SHARES?

Post by Shawn Becker » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

You need to share some/or all of these, but you can change the permissions
on the shares.  Here is something from the resource guide that might help:

When Microsoft Exchange Server is installed, Setup creates several shared
directories so other Microsoft Exchange Server computers can access the
files in the directories. By default, Setup sets permissions on these
directories that are sufficient for most organizations. However, you can
change the permissions if you are concerned that the default permissions on
these directories dont give the files enough protection against attacks by
unauthorized users.

Caution   You should change permissions on these directories only if
necessary because changes could damage your Microsoft Exchange Server
system.

Setup creates the following shared directories:

Directory       Description

Add-ins Contains files that the Administrator program uses to display
information about connectors. This directory is shared as Add-ins.
Address Contains files for creating e-mail addresses. This directory is
shared as Address.
Connect Contains files for Microsoft Exchange Server connectors. This
directory is a hidden share that is shared as connect$.
Connect\Msmcon\Maildata Contains files used for Microsoft Mail. This is a
hidden share that is available only if the Microsoft Mail Connector is
installed. It is shared as maildat$.
Res     Contains files, such as logs for Event Viewer and Windows NT
Performance Monitor, used by the local computer and remote computers. This
directory is shared as resources.
Tracking.log    Contains files used for message tracking. This directory is
shared as tracking.log.

The following permissions are granted to these directories:

Permission      Type of access

Everyone        Read (except for Maildata, which has full control)
Service account Full control
Local administrators    Full control

To restrict access to the shared directories, remove the Everyone
permission and give permissions to specific accounts using File Manager.
Use the following guidelines for restricting access on shared directories.
     Only administrators responsible for message tracking should have
permissions for the Tracking.log directory because it may contain sensitive
information about messages.
     You can give other administrators permissions to the Add-ins, Address,
Connect, and Res directories. Only administrators that need to administer
the Microsoft Mail Connector should have permissions on Maildata. If you
are using the Microsoft Mail External program for message transfer, also
give the account for this program permissions for the Maildata directory.
     Do not change permissions for the service account and local
administrators because this can have unpredictable results.

Post by Rich Matheis » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I noticed on our Exchange 5.0 SP1 Server, it created shares named:
>ADD-INS
>ADDRESS
>RESOURCES
>TRACKING.LOG

>These give Everybody READ permissions.  Is this neccessary?  We are running
>the Outlook Web Client.

Yes, it's necessary. The ADD-INS share is used by the admin program to
manage, for instance, the IMS and other connectors. The TRACKING.LOG
is used by other programs (NetIQ, Crystal Reports, etc.) to report
statistics on the number of messages passing through the MTA.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

1. Exchaneg Server 5.0 File SHARES?

------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20

I noticed on our Exchange 5.0 SP1 Server, it created shares named:
ADD-INS
ADDRESS
RESOURCES
TRACKING.LOG

These give Everybody READ permissions.  Is this neccessary?  We are running
the Outlook Web Client.

------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">I noticed on our Exchange 5.0 SP1 =
Server, it created shares =
give Everybody READ permissions. &nbsp;Is this neccessary? &nbsp;We are =
running the Outlook Web Client. &nbsp;</p>
------=_NextPart_000_01BCBF5A.95989D20--

2. Public folder place ?

3. Mapi clients and Outlook...

4. Sharing public folders through M: file sharing

5. Uninstallation process of Exchange Server 2000

6. automate msmail service removal and exchaneg server addition

7. Messages in Turf directory

8. Shared Calender with Outlook 97 and Exchange server 5.0

9. Exchange Server 5.0 and Outlook 97 - Shared Contacts is SLOW

10. Possible Security- SMTP needs File and Printer Sharing on Win2K server

11. Security issues with File and Printer Sharing on Win2K server

12. Placing .PDF files in a shared public folder on exchange server 5.5