setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by David Matte » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00



    how do I make CDO use Exchange's SMTP service rather than the SMTP
from IIS?

    After initially installing IIS, mail messages from our web pages
would not get sent, because the SMTP service that came with it was
disabled (since Exchange server was installed).  They would just get
dumped into a drop directory which is not being monitored.  I
uninstalled the SMTP service from IIS so it doesn't conflict with the
one from Exchange.  What do I have to do now so that mail generated by
the web page will get sent through Exhange's SMTP server (from HTML
commands and CDO)?

 
 
 

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by Aunty Da » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00



>    how do I make CDO use Exchange's SMTP service rather than the SMTP
>from IIS?

You can't. The problem is when you remove the IIS SMTP server you loose the
CDONTS server functions. The only option I know of is to recode all your CDO
mail functions to use MAPI objects (As far as MS are concerned this is a
step backwards)

Or, if you're really feeling brave, install IIS4 on a seperate server so you
can continue using SMTP/CDONTS and forward the mail from IIS/SMTP to the
Exchange Server.

For help with MAPI download the exellent Visual MAPI 98 from
http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/gallery.htm#mapimate)

In short never assume a bigger, "better" MS product will actually include
all the latest features from their "free" products. And if you think this is
crappy, try  upgrading SQL Server 6.5 to 7 on a system running SMS 1.2 and
see what you get. (SMS 1.2 dies a horrible death is what happens)

Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

--
Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

 
 
 

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by Stuart Fo » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00


That's why Microsoft have a knowledge base article (Article Q196824) saying
"Don't use SMS with SQL 7.0".  It's probably in the SQL 7.0 readme as well.
Always check the knowledge base before upgrading to new products.

Stu



>>    how do I make CDO use Exchange's SMTP service rather than the SMTP
>>from IIS?

>You can't. The problem is when you remove the IIS SMTP server you loose the
>CDONTS server functions. The only option I know of is to recode all your
CDO
>mail functions to use MAPI objects (As far as MS are concerned this is a
>step backwards)

>Or, if you're really feeling brave, install IIS4 on a seperate server so
you
>can continue using SMTP/CDONTS and forward the mail from IIS/SMTP to the
>Exchange Server.

>For help with MAPI download the exellent Visual MAPI 98 from
>http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/gallery.htm#mapimate)

>In short never assume a bigger, "better" MS product will actually include
>all the latest features from their "free" products. And if you think this
is
>crappy, try  upgrading SQL Server 6.5 to 7 on a system running SMS 1.2 and
>see what you get. (SMS 1.2 dies a horrible death is what happens)

>Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

>--
>Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

 
 
 

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by Aunty Da » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00



>That's why Microsoft have a knowledge base article (Article Q196824) saying
>"Don't use SMS with SQL 7.0".  It's probably in the SQL 7.0 readme as well.
>Always check the knowledge base before upgrading to new products.

>Stu

Please excuse the ranting, but the SMS 1.2/SQLS7 issue really wound me up.

Yes there is a KB article, buried deep down, which you'll only find after
SMS 1.2 has died and you're desperately trying to reinstall it to no avail.
Q196824 is not even indexed as a SQL Server issue, only an SMS issue. You'll
never find it searching for SQLS issues involving SMS, only the other way
around.

I do try to be careful to check the literature before a major upgrade. Yes,
I actually read the Readme files, and if there had been a mention of the
problem in the SQLS7 readme or install help files, believe me I would have
seen it.

There is NO mention about this issue anywhere in the SQLS7 readme, install
notes, help files or MSDN. The only fix is to upgrade to SMS 2.0, which was
not even launched when SQL7S was released, so MS knew the all their Back
Office customers upgrading to it must have had SMS 1.2. The simple fact is
it was a marketing*-up. The SMS 2 development was supposed to stay
parallel with SQLS7, because they new from the start SQLS7 would not work
with SMS 1.2. But they wanted to do a big launch of SQLS7 at Comdex Fall,
and SMS 2 wasn't ready, so they launched SQLS7 anyway. Q196824 is pure
afterthought.

And just to add insult to injury, SMS 2.0 was officially "released" a month
ago, but the CDs are still not shipping, although I can buy license packs
'til the cows come home. Oh, and of course if you bought SMS 1.2/Back Office
4.0 before January 1999 say hello to SMS 2.0 upgrade fees, just so you can
have something that works with that SQLS7 upgrade you just bought.

The SQLS7 install could easily have been designed to detect that SMS 1.2 is
installed and warn you of the problem before it is too late, but does not.
There is absolutely no mention on the BackOffice site anywhere that SQLS7
will kill existing Back Office 4.0 components, yet Microsoft continue to
push SQLS7 as the perfect upgrade for all SQL 6.x users.

There has to be a practical limit. Are you seriously suggesting you trawl
through every KB article on every related MS product to a new upgrade before
installing it? The problem with this issue is not that Microsoft's customers
are not checking the setup requirements, but that MS is trying to cover up a
horrible compatibility and development problem by the time-honored technique
of not telling anyone about it and hoping it will disappear under a
tidal-wave of promotional material and offers.

Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

 
 
 

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by Stuart Fo » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>The SQLS7 install could easily have been designed to detect that SMS 1.2 is
>installed and warn you of the problem before it is too late, but does not

Agreed
.

Quote:>There has to be a practical limit. Are you seriously suggesting you trawl
>through every KB article on every related MS product to a new upgrade
before
>installing it?

I'm suggesting that is probably prudent when you are doing a version upgrade
of server products.

Stu

 
 
 

setup CDO to use Exchange server's IMC?

Post by Aunty Da » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00


<snip>

Quote:>>There has to be a practical limit. Are you seriously suggesting you trawl
>>through every KB article on every related MS product to a new upgrade
>before
>>installing it?

>I'm suggesting that is probably prudent when you are doing a version
upgrade
>of server products.

Point taken. Live and learn. (For example I've learnt not to trust an MS
upgrade to an expensive, supposedly high-quality, advanced back-office
product as far as I could throw Bill Gates' wallet.)

Seriously though folks, I wonder if MS would put together a "Top upgrade
issues" section in KB indexed by product (and cross-referenced to all
related products of course!), the same way they currently have a "Top 10
technical issues" section for most products?

--
Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly

 
 
 

1. Accessing Exchange Server Address Book using CDO objects (CDO version 1.0)

When I try to access the "Global Address Book" or try to login to the
MAPI Session using the CDO objects, it throws the following error for
the "CDO Version 1.0", but works fine for 1.1 onwards.

Code:
Set cdoSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")
Set oNamespace = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
cdoSession.Logon oNamespace.CurrentUser, "", False, False, 0

Error:
"Type mismatch unable to coerce parameter value Outlook cant translate
your string."

Any alternative solution for the same? Or any particular way to login
to the MAPI Session in CDO 1.0?

Please get back.

Thanks,
Ashwini Kumar B.

2. Store.exe

3. Can't logon to Exchange 4 or 5 running IMC using Internet Mail

4. Newbie question

5. setup IMC - can't find in list of options

6. Hosting Two or more Internet Mail Domains

7. Setup a Chat Server using Exchange 5.5 Server

8. Ex 2000 Permissions Delay?

9. Can't send SMTP e-mail using IMC

10. Rehash: using CDO to access other user's mailbox

11. Distribution List Owner using Cdo's

12. cancel meeting using cdo's....

13. how to get the meeting items , given a recipient using CDO's