Exchange 2K Migrate SMTP porblem

Post by Ale » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:07:45

I am having a strange problem. I am trying to upgrade Exchange 5.5 to
Exchange 2000. I've done all steps as far as setting up ADC connection
agreement with Exchange 5.5 and Active Directory. I installed an
Exchange 2K on a new box. I set up test mailboxes on the new machine.
When I am trying to send out email from the new Exchange 2000 it
simply disappears. SMTP service excepts the email and says it's queued
for delivery, but it doesn't try to send it out. The message
disappears from the queue and the smtp logs don't say anything about
sending it out. No bounced mail comes back.

What is going on with SMTP service? I am completely lost...

-Exchange 5.5 is still running for production
-I made a new server an open relay (for test purposes).
-new server excepts mail if I unplug the old one and give it an ip to
match public MX records.

Exchange 2K Migrate SMTP porblem

Post by Caesar Cam » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:47:31

You might want to review the following white
paper "Configuring SMTP in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server"
which can be downloaded from
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=7C3FFFE1-3761-4E7A-B6CA-
F31FE957C024&displaylang=en.  If this link don't work see
KB article 813036 to link from there.  Specifically go
over Chapter 5 on this paper to verify your configuration
is correct.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am having a strange problem. I am trying to upgrade
Exchange 5.5 to
>Exchange 2000. I've done all steps as far as setting up
ADC connection
>agreement with Exchange 5.5 and Active Directory. I
installed an
>Exchange 2K on a new box. I set up test mailboxes on the
new machine.
>When I am trying to send out email from the new Exchange
2000 it
>simply disappears. SMTP service excepts the email and
says it's queued
>for delivery, but it doesn't try to send it out. The
message
>disappears from the queue and the smtp logs don't say
anything about
>sending it out. No bounced mail comes back.

>What is going on with SMTP service? I am completely
lost...

>-Exchange 5.5 is still running for production
>-I made a new server an open relay (for test purposes).
>-new server excepts mail if I unplug the old one and give
it an ip to
>match public MX records.
>.

1. Exchange SMTP delivery porblem using DNS

A client of ours has recently upgraded from Ex5.5 and Proxy Server to Ex2K
and ISA Server .. they run these on the same server (unfortunately).
The server was rebuilt as a Win2K box but has the same name and IP
configuration.
There is another ADSL router between the ISA box and the ISP, the config of
which is a bit of an unknown, though it has not changed.

Since the rebuild, when delivering SMTP mail using DNS (point to the same
ISP's DNS servers) the following happens:

A new queue is opened for the domain (eg: hotmail.com)
The message goes in the queue and is usually delivered
The queue remains present and Active, though it says it now contains 0
messages
If the logging is turned up an event 4000 is logged which says the message
delivery to the remote domain failed as the connection was dropped by the
remote host.
This queue will now remain and hundreds more build up for all domains, most
of which have 0 messages in them.
Some messages then get stuck in their queues and the thing grinds to a halt.

As a test I allowed their external address to relay mail though our SMTP
gateway and pointed the Internet Connector to this as a SmartHost.
All email is then put in the one queue and delivered very quickly.

It appears as if the server does not realise that the messages are been
delivered when using DNS and it is keeping the connection open.

I've checked the ISA logs and can not see anything getting blocked. I have
enabled SMTP and DNS lookups (TCP and UDP) on the ISA server.

When it was running Exch5.5 it was delivering all Internet mail using DNS
with no problems.

Some messages are also NDR ing when using DNS (see below) .. the same email
addresses go through fine when using a SmartHost (???)

Exmouth Shire on 31/07/2002 5:56 PM
            There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
email server.  Please contact your system administrator.

unknown>

      Port Hedland Town on 31/07/2002 5:54 PM
            There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
email server.  Please contact your system administrator.

            <saturn.walga.ad #5.5.0 smtp;550 not local host
porthedland.wa.gov.au, not a gateway>

      Subiaco City on 31/07/2002 5:49 PM
assistance, contact your system administrator.
            <saturn.walga.ad #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1

[203.47.38.66]>

Thanks for any help

Mark.

2. Address list in Exchange Server 4

3. owa

4. Migrating from Exchange 2k to Exchange 2k

5. OWA was unable to get to your inbox

6. Migrate exchange 5.5 to 2k accounts on 2k server cannot receive

7. can't join to existing site...help!!!!

8. Migrate Exch 2K -> Exch 2K Cluter

9. migrating Exch 2K mailboxes to a different Exch 2K

10. Outlook 2K, SMTP and Exchange 2K (internal/external mail)

11. Migrating Exchange 5.5 on Win 2K to Exchange 2003 on a new Win 2003 server

12. Migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2K