Q: POP3 Connector

Post by Bernhard Strob » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:33:18

I'm a rooky to Exchange Server and thus I probably made a fatal mistake.
Here is my Problem:

When the connector can't find an assigned exchange account for forwarding
the retrieved mails the seem to be gone to nowhere. Since the connector
doesn't leave the read mails on the external POP3 server and they're not
forwarded into an exchange mailbox, I wonder where the finally are.

Does the connector just forget about mails he can't deliver or does it store
it to  a default mailbox or even write it to disk.

Does anybody have an idea. Believe me there's nothing more anoying than
observing your emails from the last days vanishing in nirvana.

Your help would be appreciated

Cheers, Bernhard

Q: POP3 Connector

Post by John Eddy - M » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:40:13

says...

Quote:> I'm a rooky to Exchange Server and thus I probably made a fatal mistake.
> Here is my Problem:

> When the connector can't find an assigned exchange account for forwarding
> the retrieved mails the seem to be gone to nowhere. Since the connector
> doesn't leave the read mails on the external POP3 server and they're not
> forwarded into an exchange mailbox, I wonder where the finally are.

> Does the connector just forget about mails he can't deliver or does it store
> it to  a default mailbox or even write it to disk.

> Does anybody have an idea. Believe me there's nothing more anoying than
> observing your emails from the last days vanishing in nirvana.

Bernhard,

The POP3 Connector (assuming this is Small Business Server) hands the
mail to Exchange, who should then be responsible for dealing with a NDR.
Do you have the Virtual SMTP Server configured to send a copy of the NDR
to a user on the system?  If not, I would configure that first to see
what happens, does that address get a copy of the NDR.  If you don't,
try telnet'ing a message to a non-existant user and see if a NDR is
generated.

If its not the Microsoft Connector, but some third party option, I can
only guess what it is supposed to do, so I'd suggest contacting the
company that distributes the connector.

John Eddy
Exchange Communities PM
--
Note: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

1. POP3 connector and leaving copys on the POP3 Server

Hi all

I am having problems with collecting mail from a POP3 server.
I am using SBS and POP3 connector. Is there any way to tell POP3
connector to leave copys of the collectet messages on the ISPs POP Server.
I want to have all of my messages in my office, but also want
to have them at home without RAS dialin to my server in the office.
If there is no way with MS POP3 Connector, do somebody know
another tool?

Thanks, Mike.

2. thanks for writing

3. Few Qs about Public Folders

4. Upgrading 5.0 to 5.5

5. Curious Qs in E2K ??

6. Remote Mail

7. Can't access Qs

8. Need help building lesson plans

9. Qs on using the IMC to route Internet mail from other connected Ex sites

10. OWA Qs. !!

11. Exchange 2000 Setup Qs

12. POP3 Connector for Exchange

13. Installing POP3 Connector in Exchange 2k