Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

Post by Cory » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Hello,

We are about ready to undergo a complete Exchange implementation across the
board in our company.  At the present, we have two NT domains in different
cities connected with a fractional T1.  These NT domains have two way
trusts.

My question is with Exchange.  Let's say we have a single point of access to
the Internet for the entire network.  At that point, we host the primary DNS
for the domain example.com.  If we have Exchange setup inside our network
with site connectors, and the one Exchange server where the Internet access
is with the IMC, will all users be able to use Internet mail?

the Internet is hosted, and the actual user johndoe is in another city but
the two are connected with say the X.400 connector, will johndoe receive the
mail appropriately?

I am unclear on the setup and would appreciate some assistance and some good
links.

Thanks in advance.

Cory

Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

Post by Amiri Jone » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Yes, they will be able to use the connector.  You will need to
establish directory replication in order for inbound Internet mail to be
routed to other sites, but once the other sites learn of the IMS in the
first site, they will route all outbound Internet mail to that site.  As
long as the Site Addressing object is set properly in the Configuration
container in each site, you could use a single email domain of
domain.com, so that johndoe's email address would be

johndoe, and routes the message to the server at the site that contains
the mailbox.  The choice of connectors between sites is irrelevant.

Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

Post by John M. Scherf » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Cory and Amiri -

I think you can do this without directory replication.  Just set the address
space on the site connectors to route mail appropriately.  For example, if
Site A has IMS and Site B does not, and Site A and Site B have site
connectors (or X.400 connectors, or dynamic RAS connectors), BUT NO
directory replication connector, you could still route mail to

tab of the connector properties dialog).

John

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>My question is with Exchange.  Let's say we have a single point of access to
>the Internet for the entire network.  At that point, we host the primary DNS
>for the domain example.com.  If we have Exchange setup inside our network
>with site connectors, and the one Exchange server where the Internet access
>is with the IMC, will all users be able to use Internet mail?

Yes.

>the Internet is hosted, and the actual user johndoe is in another city but
>the two are connected with say the X.400 connector, will johndoe receive the
>mail appropriately?

Yes.

Quote:>I am unclear on the setup and would appreciate some assistance and some good
>links.

The directory (which you will be replicating) contains the identity of
the "home server" of the mailbox to which the SMTP proxy address

the site connector (or X.400 connector) for delivery to that server.
Once the message reaches the "home server" its MTA will deliver the
message to the information store.

Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

Post by Amiri Jone » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

This assumes that each site has its own domain.  I think the original
author described a situation in which everybody would be in the same
email domain.  This setup would require replication.

1. Internet connectivity and WAN with Exchange

[...]

2. permissions problems?

3. Front end Back end config: Redundant?

4. REPLICATION Question.

5. Mailbox size limits

6. Exchange Client & ISDN WAN Connectivity

7. Outlook / Exchange over WAN: Connectivity / Price

8. Exchange Client & ISDN WAN Connectivity

9. WAN connectivity comments

10. Outlook connectivity with WAN-Link down