Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Carlos M. Pere » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

Thanks in advance,

--
Carlos M. Perez

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Johan Reuvekam » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

It can't be done without a dedicated IP address if you want to use SMTP
between you and your ISP. The only alternative i can think of is that your
ISP will put your email in a POP3 mailbox and that you use one of the
available utilities to download it from there,

Johan Reuvekamp

Carlos M. Perez heeft geschreven in bericht ...

>I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
>Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
>that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
>our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
>justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
>e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

>Thanks in advance,

>--
>Carlos M. Perez

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Cris Hanna, BS, MC » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Carlos,
You may want to consider checking
www.exemplarsoftware.com
They have a couple of products which may help with your problem

Cris Hanna, BS, MCP

>I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
>Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
>that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
>our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
>justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
>e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

>Thanks in advance,

>--
>Carlos M. Perez

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Tom Sorrel » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Carlos -

You can use ETRN services of an MS SBS ISP.  Check out http://sbs.sky1.net
and look at the options page.  You don't need a dedicated IP address for
this to work.

Tom Sorrell
Sky1.net Small Business Service

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by John Nels » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> It can't be done without a dedicated IP address if you want to use SMTP
> between you and your ISP. The only alternative i can think of is that your

Actually, this is not true. The "Microsoft approved" method uses a
combination of WINS and DNS to assign IP numbers "on the fly". This
requires no less than two NT Server boxes set up to accomplish this dark
magic, however. Many ISP's are too *nix-centric to stoop to this.

Post by Rich Matheis » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> It can't be done without a dedicated IP address if you want to use SMTP
>> between you and your ISP. The only alternative i can think of is that your

>Actually, this is not true. The "Microsoft approved" method uses a
>combination of WINS and DNS to assign IP numbers "on the fly". This
>requires no less than two NT Server boxes set up to accomplish this dark
>magic, however. Many ISP's are too *nix-centric to stoop to this.

Why two? DNS and WINS can coexist on the same server. They don't
*have* to but they can. Unless the WINS server is experiencing quite a
name resolution\registration workload it shouldn't have any problems.

There used to be a problem with RAS and DHCP on the same machine not
properly registering IP addresses. I don't don't know if that's still
the case, though.

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Carlos M. Pere » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Everyone,

Thanks for your help.  I have decided to go with the exemplar software
solution.  It seems to work right out of the box with minor settings.  It
has an initial cost, but it is worth it, as it costs less than a static IP
in my area, and cheaper than the services that resolve the IP through a wins
server.  They require a charge for the server about $100 a year, plus the
cost of the hosting site, plus the cost of the dial-up connection.

I am just awaiting for the domain name to be transfered to their system.  I
will let you know how it works.

Thanks once again.

--
Carlos M. Perez

>I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
>Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
>that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
>our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
>justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
>e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

>Thanks in advance,

>--
>Carlos M. Perez

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Carlos M. Pere » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Cris,

Thanks, for the tip.  This is what I did and they should be finishing up the
transfer for the domain soon.   I have already moved my domain two times in
less than 3 weeks because not too many people have figured out how to get
Exchange to accept off-line hosting.

Thanks for the help,

Carlos M. Perez

>Carlos,
>You may want to consider checking
>www.exemplarsoftware.com
>They have a couple of products which may help with your problem

>Cris Hanna, BS, MCP

>>I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
>>Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
>>that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
>>our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
>>justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
>>e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

>>Thanks in advance,

>>--
>>Carlos M. Perez

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Andy Web » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Rich,

I hadn't read it that way - my bad.  You are correct that WINS and DNS, by
nature, do not need to be on separate machines.  Nor do they need to be on
separate machines due to some design limitation of this implementation.
That was a misunderstanding by the other contributor I believe.
To (briefly) layout the config for the other folks on the list...

The recommended setup for the signup kit is three servers:
Server1
    PDC
    IIS4.0
    OptionPack Authentication Services (RADIUS)
    Signup Scripts (ASP pages, COM objects)
    DNS (public - exposed externally)

Server2
    BDC
    Exchange Server
    DNS (private - only used by Server2 - does WINS lookup)
    WINS

Server3
    Member Server
    IIS4.0 for customer web hosting
    DNS (public - exposed externally - secondary to Server1)

It can be done with 2 in several configurations, and with several "rules of
thumb".

There's a full set of docs for the more curious in the Signup Kit resource
kit at http://www.microsoft.com/isn/techcenter/sbsisp/default.asp
Andy Webb

Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
Dilbert

(snip)
>That would explain the need for two DNS servers (one using WINS and
>the other not), but not the need for separate WINS and DNS machines
>(which I think was the original question, unless I misunderstood).

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Karl Gra » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have the same problem.  I have been told that Exchange server 5.5
can handle POP3 incoming mail and this precludes the need for a static IP.
I do not know if this is right or not.  Any one out there know

Regards karl

Please change the NoSpam to my name.
(30 quick money spams last post!!!!)

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Andy Web » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Exchange Server 5.5 cannot handle POP3 incoming mail.   There are third
party add-ons that mostly work - but by definition cannot ever completely
work.

There are solutions for dynamic IP's though.  The ISP's that support SBS
should be able to support standard Exchange also.

Andy Webb

Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
Dilbert

>I have the same problem.  I have been told that Exchange server 5.5
>can handle POP3 incoming mail and this precludes the need for a static IP.
>I do not know if this is right or not.  Any one out there know

>Regards karl

>Please change the NoSpam to my name.
>(30 quick money spams last post!!!!)

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Andy Web » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

It cannot without a third party product.  Carlos chose one that has been
getting good reviews.

Note though that none of these products will reliably deliver 100% of your
mail if you are using a single POP mailbox at the ISP side.

Andy

>I have the same problem.  I have been told that Exchange server 5.5
>can handle POP3 incoming mail and this precludes the need for a static IP.
>I do not know if this is right or not.  Any one out there know

>Regards karl

>Please change the NoSpam to my name.
>(30 quick money spams last post!!!!)

Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

Post by Andy Web » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

It cannot without a third party product.  Carlos chose one that has been
getting good reviews.

Note though that none of these products will reliably deliver 100% of your
mail if you are using a single POP mailbox at the ISP side.

Andy

>I have the same problem.  I have been told that Exchange server 5.5
>can handle POP3 incoming mail and this precludes the need for a static IP.
>I do not know if this is right or not.  Any one out there know

>Regards karl

>Please change the NoSpam to my name.
>(30 quick money spams last post!!!!)

1. Dynamic IP Addresses and Exchange Server

I am running SBS 4.0a and would like to know if there is anyway to tell
Exchange server what IP address you are currently using so that the site
that is hosting our e-mail can find us, authenticate us and send (deqeue)
our e-mail.  Dedicated IP addresses are way too expensive in my area to
justify the cost.  Also, we are only dialing up once an hour and
e-mail/internet traffic is very low (les than one hour a day).

Thanks in advance,

--
Carlos M. Perez

2. Unable to import users to AD via LDIFDE

3. Any way to dynamically publish GAL to Web?

4. Moving my Exchange 5.0

5. Outlook Profiles working from Exchange server

6. Exchange Server - dynamic IP address...

7. Exchange server with Dynamic IP addressing

8. How to configure ETRN for exchange 5.5 on dynamic IP address

9. Exchange & Dynamic IP Addresses

10. Dynamic IP Exchange Server...