upgrade

Post by Jama » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:57:10

I keep reading in MS articles that ensure atleast one domain is in native
mode before upgrading to exchange 2000.

I only have one domain, should I upgrade all of my DCs to windows 2003,
set to native mode
then install ADC, run forestpret, domainprep,
install a exchange 2003 server
then migrate mailboxes from 5.5 to exchange 2003??

Thanks

Jamal

upgrade

Post by <thom_.. » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:35:16

Are you going to E2K or E2K3? You do not have to be in
native mode at any time for exchange upgrades. The plan
you have is good but I would not worry about native
Win2K3 as this will break the 5.5 server for good and you
can't go back. Let me know about which vbersion you are
upgrading to and I will give you the best plan of action.
Also give me your enviornment setup(how many
DC's\Exchange servers\domains..etc...)
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I keep reading in MS articles that ensure atleast one
domain is in native
>mode before upgrading to exchange 2000.

>I only have one domain, should I upgrade all of my DCs
to windows 2003,
>set to native mode
>then install ADC, run forestpret, domainprep,
>install a exchange 2003 server
>then migrate mailboxes from 5.5 to exchange 2003??

>Thanks

>Jamal

>.

1. upgrade NT to Win2K and upgrade Ex55 to Ex2K

Unique situation here... let me try to expain as best as I can:

Existing NT Domain with Ex55 (user mailboxes and public folders) on a
BDC and Ex55 (bridgehead to other sites) on the PDC.
Existing Win2K AD with root forest and Win2K member server running
Ex2K.
Trust set up between the NT and AD domains. AD Connector set up
between AD and Ex55.

My plan is to upgrade the NT PDC to Win2K, set up AD as a new domain
within the existing forest. Then upgrade this server's Ex55 to Ex2k so
the site connectors are upgraded. I want to make sure that the
connectors to the other sites work, these other sites are still
running Ex55.

AD will run in mixed mode until all BDCs can be removed, then I'll
switch to native mode.

Is this a reasonable plan? Should I also move all user mailboxes to
the PDC Ex55 server before upgrading it to Ex2k?

Any other options or input would be appreciated...

Neil

2. Exchange Server Config Question

3. Upgrade Exch 5.5 to Upgrade 2000

4. Lost Contacts List

5. upgrading (2k upgrade to 2k)

6. exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 cluster

7. Exchange upgrade to 5.5 - Inbox Rules fail after upgrade

8. IMC error message

9. Upgrade or not to Upgrade

10. Recent upgrade from 5.5 - GAL not visible after upgrade

11. upgrade opinion question, upgrade or fresh ionstal?

12. upgrading (2k upgrade to 2k)

13. upgrade opinion question, upgrade or fresh ionstal?