Connect a second server to the same site

Connect a second server to the same site

Post by Ingo Tied » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,

we are running EX Server 5.0 SP2 in a single site. Now I want to install a
second server ( 5.5) in the same site. When I decide during the setup
programm to connect to another server I get the following error message:

"ntserver_p1" is licensed for stand-alone use only. Install Microsoft
Exchange Connector on ntserver_p1 if you want to join its site."

Does anybody know which connector I have to install and where to get it?

Ingo Tiede

Connect a second server to the same site

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yah, that is the problem.
You have to buy Enterprise version of ExchServ50 or Server connector disk.
Or you can upgrade 50 to 55.

> Hi folks,

> we are running EX Server 5.0 SP2 in a single site. Now I want to install a
> second server ( 5.5) in the same site. When I decide during the setup
> programm to connect to another server I get the following error message:

> "ntserver_p1" is licensed for stand-alone use only. Install Microsoft
> Exchange Connector on ntserver_p1 if you want to join its site."

> Does anybody know which connector I have to install and where to get it?

> Ingo Tiede

group).

Kirill

Connect a second server to the same site

Post by Chet Carso » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Kirill -

I've been experimenting around with adding an Exchange server to an existing
site using the 5.5 upgrade.  Because this is the 5.5 upgrade, I am forced to
load 5.0 first.  In doing so I can not determine how to join an existing
site without the site connector.  Our attempts to get the real 5.5 CD (not
the upgrade CD) from MS have been unsuccessful.  They say we paid for and
are licensed for the upgrade...use it that way.

Must we purchase the non-upgrade version or is there a solution using what
we have?

Your assistance is appreciated.

- Chet

> Yah, that is the problem.
> You have to buy Enterprise version of ExchServ50 or Server connector disk.
> Or you can upgrade 50 to 55.

> > Hi folks,

> > we are running EX Server 5.0 SP2 in a single site. Now I want to install
> > second server ( 5.5) in the same site. When I decide during the setup
> > programm to connect to another server I get the following error message:

> > "ntserver_p1" is licensed for stand-alone use only. Install Microsoft
> > Exchange Connector on ntserver_p1 if you want to join its site."

> > Does anybody know which connector I have to install and where to get it?

> > Ingo Tiede

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in
> group).

> Kirill

Connect a second server to the same site

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yep. This is known catch.
Some time ago Ed Crowly suggested this
1. Install just Admin prog and server to be.
2. Upgrade it with 55.
3. If it allows you to add components during upgrade. If not - rerun setyp.exe
and see if you can add components.
If that fails - buy full 55 (or try to exchange upgrade CD to full).

> Kirill -

> I've been experimenting around with adding an Exchange server to an existing
> site using the 5.5 upgrade.  Because this is the 5.5 upgrade, I am forced to
> load 5.0 first.  In doing so I can not determine how to join an existing
> site without the site connector.  Our attempts to get the real 5.5 CD (not
> the upgrade CD) from MS have been unsuccessful.  They say we paid for and
> are licensed for the upgrade...use it that way.

> Must we purchase the non-upgrade version or is there a solution using what
> we have?

> Your assistance is appreciated.

> - Chet

> > Yah, that is the problem.
> > You have to buy Enterprise version of ExchServ50 or Server connector disk.
> > Or you can upgrade 50 to 55.

> > > Hi folks,

> > > we are running EX Server 5.0 SP2 in a single site. Now I want to install
> > > second server ( 5.5) in the same site. When I decide during the setup
> > > programm to connect to another server I get the following error message:

> > > "ntserver_p1" is licensed for stand-alone use only. Install Microsoft
> > > Exchange Connector on ntserver_p1 if you want to join its site."

> > > Does anybody know which connector I have to install and where to get it?

> > > Ingo Tiede

> > --
> > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
> (in
> > group).

> > Kirill

group).

Kirill

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I've been experimenting around with adding an Exchange server to an existing
>site using the 5.5 upgrade.  Because this is the 5.5 upgrade, I am forced to
>load 5.0 first.  In doing so I can not determine how to join an existing
>site without the site connector.  Our attempts to get the real 5.5 CD (not
>the upgrade CD) from MS have been unsuccessful.  They say we paid for and
>are licensed for the upgrade...use it that way.

They're correct.

Quote:>Must we purchase the non-upgrade version or is there a solution using what
>we have?

The upgrade and full product are priced differently.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Connect a second server to the same site

Yep. This is known catch.
Some time ago Ed Crowly suggested this
1. Install just Admin prog and server to be.
2. Upgrade it with 55.
3. If it allows you to add components during upgrade. If not - rerun setyp.exe
and see if you can add components.
If that fails - buy full 55 (or try to exchange upgrade CD to full).

group).

Kirill

2. MAC Client and PAB / PST files

3. Urgent-Error Connecting Second Server in 5.0 Site

4. Please help/Problem after SP4 installation.

5. Second Server in Site (Replacement Server)

6. email incoming

7. Trying to Add a second server to a single-server site

8. Exchange 2000 public folder agents

9. users cannot connect to mailbox that resides in second home server

10. using Exchange server on a second location connected to the first location

11. Can not connect to second Exch server via OWA

12. Removed second site but site still shows up

13. installing exchange at remote site..as a site connected to main site