How to "renew" a server?

Post by Iwan van der Kley » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm confronted with the following sutuation:

In my company we're running on one dual-processor NT Server running Exchange 5.0, it is the only server present.

Because of quite heavy damages to the registry and an unfortunate disission to implement an IIS 4 -beta, the server has become quite unstable.

What would be the "best" way to "renew" the server? In other words: I want to reinstall NT & Exchange while mainaining the present Information stores & mailboxes.............

I've been thinking about the folowing process:

    a.. Install a temporary server and let it join the present site
    b.. Migrate all mailboxes and Public Folders to this machine
    c.. Reinstall the original server
    d.. Mirgrate everything back again to the original server
Would this be a viable option? Or is there perhaps a more efficient aproach?

Thanks & Regards,

Iwan van der Kleyn

How to "renew" a server?

Post by Ray Sundstro » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Iwan,

What you suggest would work if you are using the Enterprise version of
Exchange.  Be sure, however to read KB aricle Q152959 - How to Remove the
First Exchange Server in a Site.

For other approaches, you may want to check out the Exchange Backup and
Restore white paper at
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/support/deployment/planning/deploy....
&B=1
as it contains a wealth of information on the safe handling of Exchange
information stores.

Regards,
--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE, Exchange MVP

[...]

Be careful that circular logging (the Exchange server default) is turned off
before you try this approach or you may find you have no backup at all!

--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE, Exchange MVP

    1.  Use an Exchange-aware backup package to do an online backup the Dir
and IS.
    2.  Format & reinstall NT and any service packs.
    3.  Install Exchange, using the same ORG, SITE, SERVER names, and
Service Account.
    4.  Restore from tape.

How to "renew" a server?

Post by Pervez Sajja » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

You're not even close -- it is a rather delicate process outlined in Microsoft published "Disaster Recovery - Part I". You can get this document in http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evalgd.htm

In summary, the steps are:
    1.. Do an online full backup of your IS & DS using NTBACKUP.EXE in Exchange Server 5.0 CD.
    2.. Write down all Exchange configurations, including the location (drive/directory) of your exchange data.
    3.. Reinstall NT: same server name, same server configuration (PDC/BDC/Server), same SP.
    4.. Install Exchange 5.0: run SETUP.EXE /R, run optimizer and choose to move files to original location in step 2.
    5.. Apply same Exchange 5.0 patch: UPDATE.EXE /R.
    6.. Restore IS & DS: select "Delete existing files" & "Start Services after restore" in NTBACKUP.EXE.
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you use NTBACKUP.EXE from Exchange 5.0 CD.

Good Luck!!

Post by sconn.. » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

>You're not even close -- it is a rather delicate process outlined in Microsoft published "Disaster Recovery - Part I". You can get this document in http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evalgd.htm

This address doesn't exist Pervez.   I also searched the MS site with
no success!   Anyone have this file.   I've got a mess with Exchange
Server too and must rebuild because all other options have failed.
I'll explain in details in another message.

Shawn
Shawn D. Connelly, (the ubiquitous) Network Engineer

Notes: Remove the ".delete.this." from the suffix of my email address.
       For assurance that I will read your reply, please copy your
       public posting to my email account.

How to "renew" a server?

Post by Amado Fabri » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Search the technet for the author "Pagano" and you will see the "MS Exchange
Disaster Recovery Part 1".

>>You're not even close -- it is a rather delicate process outlined in

Microsoft published "Disaster Recovery - Part I". You can get this document
in http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evalgd.htm

>This address doesn't exist Pervez.   I also searched the MS site with
>no success!   Anyone have this file.   I've got a mess with Exchange
>Server too and must rebuild because all other options have failed.
>I'll explain in details in another message.

>Shawn
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Shawn D. Connelly, (the ubiquitous) Network Engineer

>Notes: Remove the ".delete.this." from the suffix of my email address.
>       For assurance that I will read your reply, please copy your
>       public posting to my email account.

1. How to "renew" a server?

[...]

2. Automatically add users to a Distribution List

3. Printing list of items in folder

4. Please Help""""""""""""""

5. OpenMsgStore problem on Exchange 2000

6. """"Microsoft Fax options""""

7. exchange 5.5 migration

8. ""Exchange in Win98 ?????""

9. Failure Audit "Security", "Directory Service Access", "565" on DC

10. Event ID: 4122 and Groupshield V4.5 ("""Conversion to internat format failed""" )

11. Help with "in-reply-to", "references", "message-id" fields

12. Event ID: 4122 and Groupshield V4.5 ("""Conversion to internat format failed""" )