Exchange 2000 trying to remote delivery of local mail

Exchange 2000 trying to remote delivery of local mail

Post by Paul Fu, Jr., MD MP » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:02:23

Hope someone out there can help.

We are using a DMZ mail-relay host to relay all email inbound to an exchange
box sitting on an internal network and exchange keeps queueing mail for
delivery without actually delivering the email.

Configuration:
Using a firewall, mail.lac-harbor.org (63.193.68.80) maps to a Sun Ultra5
(192.168.5.80) running sendmail on a DMZ (SMTP traffic only permitted) which
(1) forwards email inbound to exchange server (10.0.2.109/159.225.167.144)
and (2) relays email outbound from that exchange server only.

Exchange users can send email between each other.
Exchange users can send email outbound to the Internet.
Exchange users are not receiving inbound email.

The active directory domain is lac-harbor.org.
The mail server is exchange.lac-harbor.org.

Under Administrative Groups -> Servers -> Exchange -> protocols -> SMTP >
Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Queues, it shows all the messages waiting.
The server queue reads:
lac-harbor.org (local delivery)
exchange.lac-harbor.org (remote delivery)
stage.lac-harbor.org (remote delivery) (another exchange box)

Why is exchange.lac-harbor.org noted to be remote delivery? This is the
machine hostname.

Thanks.

Paul

1. local mail sent to remote delivery queue

I have a WIn2k SBS server whose internal DNS namespace is
the same as it's external DNS namespace. Whenever anyone
tries to send an email to a local user, the server tries
to send the message through the remote delivery smtp queue
and the message disappears - no message or NDR is sent to
the sender or recipient. How can I let Exchange know the
messages should be delivered locally (without renaming the
internal namespace).

Thank you,
Mark Haley

2. HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable

3. Exchange 2000 local mail delivery stopped.

4. BUILD YOUR OWN C`A.B,L,E B,O`X...FREE C`A.B,L.E`............. 232

5. EXCHANGE LOCAL / REMOTE MESSAGE DELIVERY & ROUTING

6. Administration tool for won95!!

7. How to configure local DNS to relay mails to external DNS if local delivery fails

8. CDO AND ASP.NET - Unpredictable Behaviour...Tried Everything, Nothing works...

9. exchange local / smtp remote: exchange 2000

10. local and remote delivery

11. HELP! Exchange 2000 local delivery queues

12. Can't enumerate messages in Exchange 2000 local delivery queue

13. Exchange 2003 - NDR if I try delivery mail out of my exghange