Planning integration of Exchange into another maildomain

Planning integration of Exchange into another maildomain

Post by Zula » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:51

Hi!

I am planning to install an Exchange server for one part of the company; the
other part will be using a Linux mail server. That is the one everyone is
using today and the one MX points to.

How do I set this all up? What do I need to think of? What functionality
will I loose?

Things that I have started to think about:

-Global address list, how can the exchange server know about the other
users?

-What do I do about distribution lists; do I have to administer them from
the Linux server? (don't really want to)

-Since both of the machines are in the same domain, do I have to set a
forward on the Linux machine for all the recipients on the Exchange server,
otherwise how will the Linux server know where to send the mails?

-What does Exchange say when I'm sending internal e-mails and the recipient
isn't on the exchange server? Can I tell it to send the mails to the Linux
server if it doesn't find them locally? Even though they are on the same
domain?

Suggestions, thoughts and recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Zulan

Planning integration of Exchange into another maildomain

Post by Allan L » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:43:21

Hi,

1. For the global address list you will need to write a batch process for
exporting and importing the addresses on the exchange and the linux server.
If you dont expect frequent address changes and if you have less number of
users, then on the exchange server, create contacts for the users on the
linux server. For defining exchange users on your linux look at point 2. It
will be lot easier if you are running ldap on your linux server.

2. For mail routing, on your linux server, setup up a pop account for the
users on the exchange server. For e.g. create a pop account called exchusers
and map all the exchange users as aliases to this pop account. Run fetchmail
on the linux server which will periodically download mails from this pop
account and forward mails to the exchange server. This way you need not
maintain distribution lists on the linux server.

3. Exchange 2000 server by default does not automatically forward mails for
non exchange servers, when you are sharing the same smtp name space. To do
this take a look at this Q article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321721

4. Finally create an SMTP connector on your exchange server such that it
routes all non exchange and external mails via your linux server.

Cheers
Allan L.

Quote:> Hi!