Experts only: Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k - different domains!

Experts only: Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k - different domains!

Post by Mike Masla » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 02:01:50

Advice from experts required:

I have an Exchange 5.5 server in a winnt4 domain named OLD. I have
setup a win2k AD domain named NEW with an exchange 2k cluster. I need
to migrate the mailboxes from OLD to NEW, on a mailbox-by-mailbox
basis. Thus, it would be IDEAL if the exchange2k cluster could be part
of the OLD domain and OLD exchange site, while also being part of the
NEW domain. However, we all know that a server cannot be part of two
domains. Any other suggested strategies?

P.S.
The reason the migration MUST take place on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis
is because the Exchange 5.5 server currently hosts mailboxs for
offices that are scattered worldwide. An all-in-one migration is not
acceptable. Also, we cannot upgrade the OLD domain to win2k. We MUST
create a new win2k domain for various legacy reasons.

I greatly appreciate all responses! Thank you!

-Mike

Experts only: Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k - different domains!

Post by Aunt Chlo » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:38:39

The AD/NT domain isn't really an issue here. You'll need to setup a two way
trust between the domains, however. Joining the same 5.5 site will be fine.
You will be prompted for the 5.5 service account upon the E2K installation.
Since you want E2K to be part of the existing 5.5 site, you'll need to
install the ADC first, then install a stand alone E2K server into the site.
The reason for this is that the Site Replication Service (SRS) is not
supported on a E2K cluster. You can then install the cluster, and do a move
mailbox from the 5.5 server to the E2K cluster.

Quote:> Advice from experts required:

> I have an Exchange 5.5 server in a winnt4 domain named OLD. I have
> setup a win2k AD domain named NEW with an exchange 2k cluster. I need
> to migrate the mailboxes from OLD to NEW, on a mailbox-by-mailbox
> basis. Thus, it would be IDEAL if the exchange2k cluster could be part
> of the OLD domain and OLD exchange site, while also being part of the
> NEW domain. However, we all know that a server cannot be part of two
> domains. Any other suggested strategies?

> P.S.
> The reason the migration MUST take place on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis
> is because the Exchange 5.5 server currently hosts mailboxs for
> offices that are scattered worldwide. An all-in-one migration is not
> acceptable. Also, we cannot upgrade the OLD domain to win2k. We MUST
> create a new win2k domain for various legacy reasons.

> I greatly appreciate all responses! Thank you!

> -Mike

Experts only: Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k - different domains!

Post by Nick Holbroo » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:15:54

The best way to achieve your goal is to migrate using
ADMT - Active Directory Migration Tool.  This can migrate
objects, computers, SIDS, mailboxes from one domain to
another and one organisation to another.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Advice from experts required:

>I have an Exchange 5.5 server in a winnt4 domain named
OLD. I have
>setup a win2k AD domain named NEW with an exchange 2k
cluster. I need
>to migrate the mailboxes from OLD to NEW, on a mailbox-
by-mailbox
>basis. Thus, it would be IDEAL if the exchange2k cluster
could be part
>of the OLD domain and OLD exchange site, while also
being part of the
>NEW domain. However, we all know that a server cannot be
part of two
>domains. Any other suggested strategies?

>P.S.
>The reason the migration MUST take place on a mailbox-by-
mailbox basis
>is because the Exchange 5.5 server currently hosts
mailboxs for
>offices that are scattered worldwide. An all-in-one
migration is not
>acceptable. Also, we cannot upgrade the OLD domain to
win2k. We MUST
>create a new win2k domain for various legacy reasons.

>I greatly appreciate all responses! Thank you!

>-Mike
>.

Experts only: Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k - different domains!

Post by Mike Masla » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:26:18

Thanks for the help!

Nick,:
If I use the ADMT, do I need to do any of the following first:

Setup two-way trusts between OLD and NEW domain?
Setup the exchange 2000 cluster in the exchange 5.5 site or a new site?
install ADC on a DC in NEW (mixed mode) domain?
install ADC on a DC in OLD (nt4.0 ONLY dc's) domain?

thanks!

> The best way to achieve your goal is to migrate using
> ADMT - Active Directory Migration Tool.  This can migrate
> objects, computers, SIDS, mailboxes from one domain to
> another and one organisation to another.

Post by Jan Peter Stot » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:27:53

Quote:>Thanks for the help!

>Nick,:
>If I use the ADMT, do I need to do any of the following first:

>Setup two-way trusts between OLD and NEW domain?

Right.

Quote:>Setup the exchange 2000 cluster in the exchange 5.5 site or a new site?

I would add the new into the old 5.5 site. But you need to install a
non-clustered Exchange-Server before, becaus the "Bridge von 5.5 <->
2000" (Site Replication Service) does not work on Clustered Servers.
WARNING: Do not install the Exchange-2K Cluster until the connection
with the non-clustered "Bridge-EX2K" works correct !
I tried it personally...
This makes it possible to move the mailbox transparently (for the
user) for the old server to to new. After that you can remove the old
5.5 and then the Bridge-2K.

Quote:>install ADC on a DC in NEW (mixed mode) domain?

The ADC can be installed only in a W2K Domain. It reads the
information from the EX5.5's LDAP and writes it in the AD of the "K
Domain

Quote:>install ADC on a DC in OLD (nt4.0 ONLY dc's) domain?

No. Btw, it would not work.

Jan Peter Stotz
--

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.