Can send but not receive external email...

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by Brad Pear » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:18:54



We finally are set up with a full-time internet
connection and I have set up exchange to send/receive
external mail (i think!) However, I can send mail to my
hotmail account no problem and it gets there instantly.
When sending an email back to my work account though,
from Hotmail, nothing is coming through. I do not get any
error messages from hotmail saying invalid address etc...
It;s as if everything is fine.

I have made sure that I have a recipient policy with the
default SMTP name set properly. My mail account also has
the correct SMTP email address specified.

Our ISP has told me that the MX record has been created
and what ever else they had to do was done on Friday.
They told me it might be a couple days before mail would
start coming through however, this morning still nothing
is coming through. Could there be a TTL issue or SOA
issue??

We have a firewall (Watchguard Firebox 700) and I am not
seeing anything being logged on port 25 at all. I see it
when I send email out but nothing coming back the other
way, which leads me to believe that it's not a setup
problem on my end.

I ran the DNS report from DNSREPORT.COM and a few things
came up but nothing too major - at least nothing that I
would think would prevent email from coming through.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the
problem?

 
 
 

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by Michael Clar » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:10:20


I had the exact same problem for the past couple of months that I just
solved this morning.  I could send external mail no problem - just unable to
receive.  My problem was that my Active Directory domain was xyz.corp and I
wanted to receive email to Internet domain abc.com.  I could telnet in from
the Internet and receive mail

I read KB Article 325921 and added the UPN for my abc.com in Active
Directory and miracle of all miracles - it worked!

Now my only problem is that the internal host name of my mail server is
displayed for all the world to see.  I am now researching how to correct
that to display mail.abc.com instead of my Internal host's name.

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any problem -

Michael


Quote:> We finally are set up with a full-time internet
> connection and I have set up exchange to send/receive
> external mail (i think!) However, I can send mail to my
> hotmail account no problem and it gets there instantly.
> When sending an email back to my work account though,
> from Hotmail, nothing is coming through. I do not get any
> error messages from hotmail saying invalid address etc...
> It;s as if everything is fine.

> I have made sure that I have a recipient policy with the
> default SMTP name set properly. My mail account also has
> the correct SMTP email address specified.

> Our ISP has told me that the MX record has been created
> and what ever else they had to do was done on Friday.
> They told me it might be a couple days before mail would
> start coming through however, this morning still nothing
> is coming through. Could there be a TTL issue or SOA
> issue??

> We have a firewall (Watchguard Firebox 700) and I am not
> seeing anything being logged on port 25 at all. I see it
> when I send email out but nothing coming back the other
> way, which leads me to believe that it's not a setup
> problem on my end.

> I ran the DNS report from DNSREPORT.COM and a few things
> came up but nothing too major - at least nothing that I
> would think would prevent email from coming through.

> Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the
> problem?


 
 
 

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by brad pear » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:46:54


I tried what you said but am not having much luck. I'm
not 100% sure I set it up properly though. Our active
directory domain is "tnlhdom.local". The domain we want
to receive mail on is "truenorthloghomes.com". Do I have
to add "truenorthloghomes.com" as a UPN suffix and then
modify my account in active directory (account tab) to
say "truenorthloghomes.com" instead of "tnlhdom.local" as
it is now?

Then, as far as setting up a new recipient policy, do I
create a policy that for "logon name" ends
with "truenorthloghomes.com" and apply that??  

Do I have to set up the "truenorthloghomes.com" domain
name in DNS anywhere? Right now there is only an entry in
there for "TNLHDOM.local" - opur local AD domain.

This is all new to me and I am really confused as to why
it isn't working.

Thanks,

Brad

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>I had the exact same problem for the past couple of
months that I just
>solved this morning.  I could send external mail no

problem - just unable to
Quote:>receive.  My problem was that my Active Directory domain
was xyz.corp and I
>wanted to receive email to Internet domain abc.com.  I

could telnet in from
Quote:>the Internet and receive mail

>I read KB Article 325921 and added the UPN for my
abc.com in Active
>Directory and miracle of all miracles - it worked!

>Now my only problem is that the internal host name of my
mail server is
>displayed for all the world to see.  I am now

researching how to correct
>that to display mail.abc.com instead of my Internal
host's name.

>Hope that helps!  Let me know if you have any problem -

>Michael



>> We finally are set up with a full-time internet
>> connection and I have set up exchange to send/receive
>> external mail (i think!) However, I can send mail to my
>> hotmail account no problem and it gets there instantly.
>> When sending an email back to my work account though,
>> from Hotmail, nothing is coming through. I do not get
any
>> error messages from hotmail saying invalid address
etc...
>> It;s as if everything is fine.

>> I have made sure that I have a recipient policy with
the
>> default SMTP name set properly. My mail account also
has
>> the correct SMTP email address specified.

>> Our ISP has told me that the MX record has been created
>> and what ever else they had to do was done on Friday.
>> They told me it might be a couple days before mail
would
>> start coming through however, this morning still
nothing
>> is coming through. Could there be a TTL issue or SOA
>> issue??

>> We have a firewall (Watchguard Firebox 700) and I am
not
>> seeing anything being logged on port 25 at all. I see
it
>> when I send email out but nothing coming back the other
>> way, which leads me to believe that it's not a setup
>> problem on my end.

>> I ran the DNS report from DNSREPORT.COM and a few
things
>> came up but nothing too major - at least nothing that I
>> would think would prevent email from coming through.

>> Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the
>> problem?

>.

 
 
 

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by Leif Pederse » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:32:46


Hi,

It appears that another domain is accepting email for your domain - see test
by http://www.checkdns.net/ below:

Checking mail server (PRI=10) ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com [207.61.107.30]
  Mail server ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com[207.61.107.30] answers on port
25
  <<< 220 SMTP service ready
  >>> HELO www.checkdns.net
  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed

  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed

  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
  >>> QUIT
  Mail server ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com [207.61.107.30] accepts mail for
truenorthloghomes.com

Is that what you expected?

Leif

 
 
 

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by Brad Pear » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:57:39


Yes, that is the public IP our provider has set up for
us. They are doing a one to one NAT on that IP which then
forwards the mail on to us.

I was able to get one message through from hotmail but
since then I've sent many and not one has come through!

I think that messages are coming to our system but not
being placed in the users mailbox. Is there anywhere in
Exchange where you can view messages that have arrived
for delivery but are not being delivered?

Brad

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>It appears that another domain is accepting email for

your domain - see test
Quote:>by http://www.checkdns.net/ below:

>Checking mail server (PRI=10)

ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com [207.61.107.30]
Quote:>  Mail server ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com

[207.61.107.30] answers on port
>25
>  <<< 220 SMTP service ready
>  >>> HELO www.checkdns.net
>  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed

>  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed

>  <<< 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
>  >>> QUIT
>  Mail server ppp30.haliburtonhighlands.com

[207.61.107.30] accepts mail for
Quote:>truenorthloghomes.com

>Is that what you expected?

>Leif

>.

 
 
 

Can send but not receive external email...

Post by Leif Pederse » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:51:50


Hi,

Try to enable smtp logging on the virtuel smtp server. You should then in
the SMTP log see that mail arives into your system and for which domain. If
mail arives you will just have to make sure that the domain is listed in
your recipient policy and that the users have to correct email addresses.

Leif