RPC over HTTP

Post by Robert Korzuc » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:40:47

I having trouble configuring RPC over HTTP. My server
setup is Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 B2 and the client is
Windows XP Pro with Office 2003 B2 w/ Office Technical
Refresh.  I have installed the RPC Proxy service on the
Exchange server.  Exchange Server is also the DC and DNS
Server.  I have configured my Outlook client to connect
to the exchange server using RPC over HTTP and I get a
security prompt asking for username and password.  When I
enter my username and password I am still disconnected.
I think it might be a RPC over HTTP v1 vs RPC over HTTP
v2 error.

Does any one have any documentation of how to properly
configure RPC over HTTP.

RPC over HTTP

Post by Paul » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:22:50

I posted this elsewhere (you'll have to cut and paste the
links together again), the Proxy in your case is the
Exchange backend, but that doesn't matter:

I have RPC over HTTP working between Outlook 11 and an RPC
Proxy (an Exchange 2003 RC1 frontend, but I think it only
needs to be a Win2K3 machine with IIS and RPC over HTTP
installed). I can help you with configurations that far or
you can figure it out amongst the dross here
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/beta/three/ch8/OutC0
7.htm.

Unfortunately I can't get the RPC Proxy to talk to the
Exchange 2003 RC1 backend - not a packet passes between
them! I think the 'ValidPorts' registry setting is to
blame, but who knows. Look at
url=/library/en-us/rpc/rpc/rem
ote_procedure_calls_using_rpc_over_http.asp and don't
forget to tell me if you can make it work!

Any one else out there making this work?

Paul

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I having trouble configuring RPC over HTTP. My server
>setup is Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 B2 and the client is
>Windows XP Pro with Office 2003 B2 w/ Office Technical
>Refresh.  I have installed the RPC Proxy service on the
>Exchange server.  Exchange Server is also the DC and DNS
>Server.  I have configured my Outlook client to connect
>to the exchange server using RPC over HTTP and I get a
>security prompt asking for username and password.  When I
>enter my username and password I am still disconnected.
>I think it might be a RPC over HTTP v1 vs RPC over HTTP
>v2 error.

>Does any one have any documentation of how to properly
>configure RPC over HTTP.

>.

RPC over HTTP

Post by Paul Baldwi » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:25:41

<quote>
Unfortunately I can't get the RPC Proxy to talk to the
Exchange 2003 RC1 backend - not a packet passes between
them! I think the 'ValidPorts' registry setting is to
blame, but who knows.
<\quote>

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think that the
old 2000 way of forcing Exchange to proxy authentication,
rather than referring the client to an AD server it knows
nothing about, no longer holds true. The RPC Proxy now
contacts the AD server for the client. That would explain
why the Global Catalog has to be on Windows 2003. Yes?

Therefore, the RPC Proxy needs a 'ValidPorts' registry
setting for a GC as well as the Exchange backend. Yes?

So what is it?

Cheers

RPC over HTTP

Post by Paul » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:09:30

I get to answer my own question, its all (?) in:

http://www.microsoft.com/germany/library/resourcesmod/excha
nge+titanium+getting+started+guide.pdf

Does it make a difference? Pah!

Has anybody got this stuff working?

1. Exchange 2003 and RPC over HTTP

Hello,

Have anyone tried to set up Outlook 11 to use RPC over HTTP against Exchange
Server 2003 FE?

I have followed the steps outlined in MOC 2400, double checked with the
document on
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=84236BD9-AC54-41...,
but I can't seem to manage it.

When I monitor the network traffic on the client and server, only RPC ports
(1024+) are used in addition to the endpoint mapper. No packets are sent on
port 80 or 443.

It seems like Outlook just ignores the RPC Proxy settings. Am I missing
something?

Regards,

Jeppe.

2. Email Delivery Question/Help