Security for Exchange 5.5 internet mail

Post by Victor Po » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a question, this one is regarding security for Exchange 5.5 server on
the internet.
Currently our setup is as follows and we don't feel this is enough security
from hackers.

We have an Exchange Server 5.0 installed on a HP LH3PRO Server with 2 nic
cards, one for the internal connection to our Domain and one for the
external internet connection.  Is this a reliable security for any Server?
I was not involved in the past configuration and setup above and now I have
the task to bring the New Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition into a more
secured environment.
Also, we have since upgraded to a Cisco firewall.
We are looking for the best configuration and solution for securing our
future New Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition from the unwanted
intruders.
Suggestions and Recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
V. POP
Sr. Systems Analyst

Post by Rich Matheise » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I have a question, this one is regarding security for Exchange 5.5 server on
>the internet.
>Currently our setup is as follows and we don't feel this is enough security
>from hackers.

>We have an Exchange Server 5.0 installed on a HP LH3PRO Server with 2 nic
>cards, one for the internal connection to our Domain and one for the
>external internet connection.  Is this a reliable security for any Server?

No. Invest in a firewall.

Just out of curiosity, have you at least disabled IP Routing on the
server?

Quote:>I was not involved in the past configuration and setup above and now I have
>the task to bring the New Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition into a more
>secured environment.
>Also, we have since upgraded to a Cisco firewall.

And the Exchange server is on which side of the firewall?

What sort of connctivity from the Internet to the Exchange server do
you need?

The best advice is to hire a consultant (or find someone internally)
capable of configuring the firewall to suit your needs (which don't
sound extraordinary). Keep The Exchange server, and all the rest of
your servers, behind the firewall.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Security for Exchange 5.5 Internet mail through firewall???

[...]

2. Unable to get messages to leave Outbox

3. Exchange 5.5 Internet Mail Service security FAQ?

4. Internal sql server error

5. main Internet security risks for Exchange 5.5?

6. Problems with OWA in Exchange 2000

7. security concerns if open exchange 5.5 to internet

8. LDAP Mail-Nickname is not map to uid

9. Exchange 5.5 Enhanced Internet Security

10. Exchange Security & Internet Mail Connector

11. Mail Stuck in Internet Mail Service Mailbox (Exchange 5.5)

12. Security over RAS or Internet mail

13. Internet mail Security question...