Exchange server licensing

Post by Zeal » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:08:02

Hi:

we have two physical locations, want to setup an additional Exchange server
(with the same site name) to attempt boost the performance (will this do
it?), will we have to buy another Exchange server license and CALs to dual
up the one we already have ?

Thanks
ZG

Exchange server licensing

Post by Gary McDonnel » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:26:39

You need an Exchange server license for each server that has Exchange on it.

You need 1 client access license for each user that will have a mailbox,
regardless of which server they are on. In other words if you have 200 users
and 50 are on one server and 150 are on the other you need 200 CALs. If next
week you move 25 of the users on the first server to the second you do not
have to buy any more licenses.

Good luck! /gary mcdonnell
==========================

Post by MV » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:32:13

>You need an Exchange server license for each server that has Exchange on it.

>You need 1 client access license for each user that will have a mailbox,
>regardless of which server they are on. In other words if you have 200 users
>and 50 are on one server and 150 are on the other you need 200 CALs. If next
>week you move 25 of the users on the first server to the second you do not
>have to buy any more licenses.

>Good luck! /gary mcdonnell
>==========================

>Hi:

>we have two physical locations, want to setup an additional Exchange server
>(with the same site name) to attempt boost the performance (will this do
>it?), will we have to buy another Exchange server license and CALs to dual
>up the one we already have ?

>Thanks
>ZG

You don't need one CAL per mailbox.
You need one CAL per system accessing the exchange server. This does
not mean concurrent users so if you have 200 PCs that will access
Exchange Server (Using any capable software) then you need 200 CALs
even though perhaps 100 might only be in the office at any one time.

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

Exchange server licensing

Post by Zeal » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:19:46

If we have one Exchange site name, but both physical server is installed on
a separate location, (they still accessing the same site ), and we have
about 70 users, and 100 CAL, we do have to buy another Exchange server
license, do we need to buy any more CALs ?

Thanks
ZG

> >You need an Exchange server license for each server that has Exchange on
it.

> >You need 1 client access license for each user that will have a mailbox,
> >regardless of which server they are on. In other words if you have 200
users
> >and 50 are on one server and 150 are on the other you need 200 CALs. If
next
> >week you move 25 of the users on the first server to the second you do
not
> >have to buy any more licenses.

> >Good luck! /gary mcdonnell
> >==========================

> >Hi:

> >we have two physical locations, want to setup an additional Exchange
server
> >(with the same site name) to attempt boost the performance (will this do
> >it?), will we have to buy another Exchange server license and CALs to
dual
> >up the one we already have ?

> >Thanks
> >ZG

> You don't need one CAL per mailbox.
> You need one CAL per system accessing the exchange server. This does
> not mean concurrent users so if you have 200 PCs that will access
> Exchange Server (Using any capable software) then you need 200 CALs
> even though perhaps 100 might only be in the office at any one time.

> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

1. Reinstalling Exchange Server licenses.

Hi All,

I reset the License Manager Database on my PDC and BDC as described in KB
Article Q153140.

I have been able to re-install my NT and BackOffice licenses ok, but I can't
find an option to allow me to re-install Exchange licenses. (When I select
Add Licenses within the License Manager, the only options I get are NT and
BackOffice.)

Any idea how I can tell it about Exchange licenses?

--
Mike Reid
Systems Engineer

2. Has AOL blocked synching outlook 2000 using dial-up

3. exchange servers licensing model number 2

4. NTBackup to Null

5. Exchange Server License Problem

6. Outlook 2000 and POP3?SMTP

7. SMTP host name is invalid

8. Exchange Server Licensing for wireless apps

9. Exchange Server License Issue

10. Exchange Server License Problem

11. MS Exchange Server License