POP3 access

Post by Geffrey Brau » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:59:46

I can only connect to Exchange 2003 Server for pop3
access via port 110 as administrator.  Any other users in
my active directory do not get allowed access (message is
bad user or password)?  What's the deal??

POP3 access

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:12:19

If the users AD logon name is different to their Exchange alias this can
cause the problem, if they are different you need to specify their logon
credentials in the POP3 client in the following format:

domainname\adlogonname\ExchAlias

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> I can only connect to Exchange 2003 Server for pop3

Post by Geffrey Brau » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:34:31

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If the users AD logon name is different to their

Exchange alias this can
>cause the problem, if they are different you need to
specify their logon
>credentials in the POP3 client in the following format:

>domainname\adlogonname\ExchAlias

>--
>Mark Fugatt
>Microsoft Exchange MVP
>www.exchangetrainer.com
>www.msexchange.org

message

>> I can only connect to Exchange 2003 Server for pop3
>> access via port 110 as administrator.  Any other users
in
>> my active directory do not get allowed access (message
is
>> bad user or password)?  What's the deal??

>.

Thanks, You have the biggest Propeller!  Success!

POP3 access

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:48:21

Glad to help.

--
Mark Fugatt

Post by Geffrey Brau » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:03:32

One more thing, though....

When I try to send/receive, sometines it works, but most
of the time it times out.  Any ideas.  Also, I have to
put the IP address in my allowed relay list each time I
connect via dialup and am issued a new ip.  Any easy way
to get around that?

message

POP3 access

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:54:40

Hi Geffrey,

If you look at the properties for your SMTP Virtual Server, what do you have
configured on the Access > Relay options?

--
Mark Fugatt

> One more thing, though....

> When I try to send/receive, sometines it works, but most
> of the time it times out.  Any ideas.  Also, I have to
> put the IP address in my allowed relay list each time I
> connect via dialup and am issued a new ip.  Any easy way
> to get around that?

POP3 access

Post by Geffrey Brau » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:53:35

I have Allow "only the list below" checked, with the ip
that the dialup provider assigned, and the "Allow all
computers which successfully authenticate to relay,
regardless of the list above". That setting I was
assuming would let anyone relay who authenticates their
userid and password from the Active Directory, which
apparently is not happening since I can not relay without
having my ip address in the list above.. Is there a
specific syntax I should use in the SMTP client for
connecting?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Geffrey,

>If you look at the properties for your SMTP Virtual

Server, what do you have
>configured on the Access > Relay options?

>--
>Mark Fugatt

message

>> One more thing, though....

>> When I try to send/receive, sometines it works, but
most
>> of the time it times out.  Any ideas.  Also, I have to
>> put the IP address in my allowed relay list each time I
>> connect via dialup and am issued a new ip.  Any easy
way
>> to get around that?

in