Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by lanma » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:43:06



Hello,

I have installed a front end server in my Exchange site to
provide IMAP, POP, and OWA access to our two back end
servers. My problem is this: When I first install the
server, before I convert it to a front end server, OWA
works. Once I convert it to a front end server OWA no
longer functions. After lots of tweaking the best I can
get out of it is page not found. If I convert it back to a
full echange server though, the OWA works once again. Has
anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks,

Lanman

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by Richard C. Gates ( » Wed, 07 May 2003 07:42:50


Hi Lanman,

One of the keys to getting FE/BE working is to make sure that the
configuration for the Front and Back end matches.  It doesn't indicate in
your post whether or not you have gone through the Front End / Back End
whitepaper and made sure that your configuration is correct.  I recommend
doing this if you haven't already.  You can get it from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&Family...
2110-A322-4947-9EAF-3D6A9A99CB42

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Rich

Richard C. Gates, MCSE, MCSA, A+
Online Support Professional
Microsoft IT Communities

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by lanma » Thu, 08 May 2003 06:53:32


Richard,

I have read the whitepaper several times and I find that
portion of it to be a bit vague. It mentions matching the
configuration, but never really tells you exactly what to
do. What exactly do I need to do? The domains match.
Should I point the virtual directories to one of the back
end servers? That doesn't quite make sense to me though if
that is the case. Like I mentioned before, before I switch
the server to FE mode OWA works flawlessly. Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lanman

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Lanman,

>One of the keys to getting FE/BE working is to make sure
that the
>configuration for the Front and Back end matches.  It

doesn't indicate in
Quote:>your post whether or not you have gone through the Front
End / Back End
>whitepaper and made sure that your configuration is

correct.  I recommend
Quote:>doing this if you haven't already.  You can get it from
the following link.

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?

displaylang=en&FamilyID=5B7D
Quote:>2110-A322-4947-9EAF-3D6A9A99CB42

>I hope that helps.

>Best Regards,

>Rich

>Richard C. Gates, MCSE, MCSA, A+
>Online Support Professional
>Microsoft IT Communities

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

>.

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by Alexander Louie ( » Fri, 09 May 2003 03:18:53


Hi Lanman,

I'm looking over Richard's cases while he is out of the office.  I saw that
you've looked over the paper which talks about FE BE configuration. I had
some more specific questions on your setup in regards to the whitepaper:

1. Is this a multidomain forest?  Did you configure any extra virtual
servers or directories on any of the FE servers (page 27).  If so, then you
must add matching virtual servesr and directories on the BE server (see the
whitepaper, page 41).  You will also need to be sure that you've used the
appropriate method to configure the BE server depending upon which method
you used on the FE.

2. Do you have a firewall involved here that may be causing problems?

3. What type of security are you using?  Are you using SSL to try to access
the site?  What happens if you try using only basic authentication?

Regards,

Alexander Louie
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by Lanma » Sat, 10 May 2003 04:34:54


Alexander,

It is a single domain forest.

No extra virtual servers or directories were configured.

The firewall does not apply to this situation.

It does not work via SSL or just basic authentication
without SSL.

If I convert the FE server back to a regular exchange
server OWA will work on the server.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Lanman

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Lanman,

>I'm looking over Richard's cases while he is out of the

office.  I saw that
Quote:>you've looked over the paper which talks about FE BE

configuration. I had
Quote:>some more specific questions on your setup in regards to
the whitepaper:

>1. Is this a multidomain forest?  Did you configure any
extra virtual
>servers or directories on any of the FE servers (page

27).  If so, then you
Quote:>must add matching virtual servesr and directories on the
BE server (see the
>whitepaper, page 41).  You will also need to be sure that
you've used the
>appropriate method to configure the BE server depending
upon which method
>you used on the FE.

>2. Do you have a firewall involved here that may be
causing problems?

>3. What type of security are you using?  Are you using

SSL to try to access
Quote:>the site?  What happens if you try using only basic
authentication?

>Regards,

>Alexander Louie
>Product Support Services
>Microsoft Corporation

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

>.

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by Richard C. Gates ( » Wed, 14 May 2003 10:03:10


Hi Lanman,

What happens when a user tries to connect directly to the backend server
rather than going through the Front End?  What happens if you use
http://frontendservername/exchange/mailbox instead of just /exchange?  Does
it fail as well?

I would make sure that everyone has at least Read and Execute permissions
on the exchweb directory on the Front End server.  Please let us know the
answers to the questions and if the permissions changes help.  I've seen at
least one case where inadequate permissions caused this problem.

Best Regards,

Rich

Richard C. Gates, MCSE, MCSA, A+
Online Support Professional
Microsoft IT Communities

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
 
 

Exchange 2K Front End Server - OWA not working

Post by Lanma » Thu, 15 May 2003 00:41:42


Rich,

If you connect directly to either backend server OWA works
perfectly.

If I use a URL to a specific mailbox and not
just /exchange it still fails with the same page not found
error.

Everyone already has read and execute permissions for the
exchweb directory.

Thanks,

Lanman

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Lanman,

>What happens when a user tries to connect directly to the
backend server
>rather than going through the Front End?  What happens if
you use
>http://frontendservername/exchange/mailbox instead of

just /exchange?  Does
Quote:>it fail as well?

>I would make sure that everyone has at least Read and

Execute permissions
Quote:>on the exchweb directory on the Front End server.  Please
let us know the
>answers to the questions and if the permissions changes

help.  I've seen at
Quote:>least one case where inadequate permissions caused this
problem.

>Best Regards,

>Rich

>Richard C. Gates, MCSE, MCSA, A+
>Online Support Professional
>Microsoft IT Communities

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

>.

 
 
 

1. OWA: Back End Server Works Fine, Front End Server Just Gives Logon Challenge Repeatedly

The subject line pretty much says it all. My backend server, front end server,
and client machine are all on the same hub. From the client machine, if I go
to http://back.mydomain.com/exchange/my_user_name, everything works fine. I
get the logon challenge, enter my user name and password, and up comes my
Outlook mailbox. However, if I go to
http://front.mydomain.com/exchange/my_user_name, I get the logon challenge,
but no matter what I enter, I just get the challenge again. The server is set
to be a front-end server and has been rebooted. Any ideas?

--Eric

2. No from field - Invalid email headers?

3. OWA Front-End /Back-end not working

4. MTA Problem

5. Front end servers working as OWA boxes

6. OWA message opening with blank screen

7. back-end Exchange Server and a Front-End Exchange Server

8. Cannot Access Public Folders After Installing SP3

9. OWA in Front-end and Back-end server environment setup

10. Front End OWA to Back End server...WTF?`

11. Exchange 5.5 OWA Front End with Exchange 2000 Back End

12. Exchange 2000 (Front-End/Back-End Server) and ISA Server

13. Filtering not working with Linux front end...