Removing a server from a site

Post by Eric Ritte » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have completed all the steps of moving adding a new server to a 1 server
site, and then moving everything to the new server, including all connectors
( see Q152959).  I am having reservations about totally removing the server
from the site, it would be nice to have an MSX server just sitting there
waiting incase there was a problem with the new one.  ( this is a branch
office with no IS people there ) I do know that I cannot just leave the
services stopped as I will get a bevy of error messages.

When I did try to remove the server from the site I got a pop up stating
that there were 4 mailboxs and gateways still on the system.  Granted all I
did was stop all the services on the first server ( not turn it right off as
the Q states) but when I looked for mailboxs ( hidden or not ) I could not
find any.  Any thoughts?  I did have the services stopped overnight and all
messaging and replication traffic went fine.

And last.  Does an MSX server that is basically idle really take up much for
resources???

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>When I did try to remove the server from the site I got a pop up stating
>that there were 4 mailboxs and gateways still on the system.  Granted all I
>did was stop all the services on the first server ( not turn it right off as
>the Q states) but when I looked for mailboxs ( hidden or not ) I could not
>find any.  Any thoughts?  I did have the services stopped overnight and all
>messaging and replication traffic went fine.

If you have only a single site then try running a Knowledge
Consistency Check on both servers followed by a Consistency Adjuster
on both servers. Check the "Synchronize..." boxes for both Private and
Public Information Stores and select the "All inconsistencies) radio
button.

Sometimes there's a mailbox in the information store that doesn't
appear in the directory. This will recreate the directory entry and
allow you to remove the mailbox, or move the mailbox to the other
server.

The gateway's (and connectors) are kept only in the directory. So if
you don't have any connectors showing up in the "Connections" tab I'd
be a bit concerned about the health of the directory.

Quote:>And last.  Does an MSX server that is basically idle really take up much for
>resources???

No. It occupies disk space, but unless there's a lot of directory
changes being made (which would cause a lot of directory replication
traffic) the CPU and network loads are minimal. It WILL, however, try
to grab as much memory as it needs.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Removing a Server from a site

Folks

I have a two server site and would like to remove one of  the servers from
the site.
These servers are connected on an ethernet LAN and are in the same server
room.

I have moved the mailboxes to my prime mail server ... can anyone please
advise what steps to take next ... or advise a microsoft document that will
point me in the right direction

thanks

Dave

2. taskbar

3. Remove last server in a site

4. Tasks properties with CDO

5. Removing a server from a site

6. Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 1

7. Error 9318 AFter removing a server from a site

8. Exchange 4.0/ mailbox name limits

9. Removing a server from a site

10. Error after removing 1st Server from Exchange site

11. Removing a Server from a Site (Exchange 5.0 SP2)

12. Removing original server in a site

13. Removing a server from a site