The living dead mail server (Exchange server won't leave site)

The living dead mail server (Exchange server won't leave site)

Post by Ray Dowlin » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Chalk it up to inexperience, but I have gotten myself into the following
situation. I recently migrated my exchange server to a new machine using
most of the Ed Crowley method. We had several public folders that were not
used so I kept putting off the migration (or deletion) of them. Recently the
old server died  but I gave it no thought since there wasn't any useful data
on it. I went on my merry way and moved the new server to a new domain
(trying to eliminate two of the three friggin' domains that were here when I
started at this ~400 employee company!). This process (using a new service
account and changing the permissions in raw mode) worked fine, but now I'm
stuck with the old server listed in my Admin console and it won't leave.
When I try to delete this sucker, I'm told I can't delete a running server
and that I need to shut it down first. Does this have anything to with the
left-over folders that were on this machine? The domain change? Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Dowling, MCSE+I

The living dead mail server (Exchange server won't leave site)

Post by Mike » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Did you join the existing site and then move the mailboxes to the new
server? If you did you may have to rebuild the old machine and check out
Q152959 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site.

The living dead mail server (Exchange server won't leave site)

Post by Ray Dowlin » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

This is exactly what I did. I had forgotten about some of the things in
Q152959 though. Today, I was able to get the old server running and work
through the steps referenced in the article but I still can't delete the
server! It now will act is if it is going to work then tell me there was an
error during directory replication. This may all be related to the fact that
the two machines are in different domains. The old box is a BDC of the old
domain (and the new domain is a 2K domain in native mode) so I don't exactly
see a way to change it. I may end up trying to re-create this machine from
back-up but as a member server instead. Then I'll change it's domain & try
removing it again. Any other ideas anyone might contribute would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

 Ray Dowling, MCSE+I

Quote:> Did you join the existing site and then move the mailboxes to the new
> server? If you did you may have to rebuild the old machine and check out
> Q152959 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site.

1. backup mail server (mx 20) won't hold mail for primary server (mx 10)

Primary mx10 mail server link broken, mx 20 mail server (w2ksp2, e55sp4)
won't hold message for primary, till it it backup.
the sender receive this message,

Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=
;p=hylink;l=MAIL0107250351PS5WP0BD
MSEXCH:IMS:Hylink:HQNW:MAIL 0 (00120345) Too Many Hops

Can anyone help how to fix this on the backup (mx 20 guys)

Thanks,

Benjamin

2. Inbox Assistant

3. MSN Mail won't leave the outbox since connecting to Exchange

4. Exchange 5.5 mail attachment problems

5. can't move email acct on dead server to new server

6. Instant Messaging

7. Exchange services won't start on site-server

8. Drive config for Exchange server

9. Mail Won't Leave Outbox

10. Exchange Server-Server/Site-Site Non-Mail Network Load

11. exchange 4.0: messages won't leave my send box

12. exchange server 5.0 won't sent mail.

13. Cannot remove dead exchange server from Exchange Server Manager