Server recommendations

Post by Damian Pascal » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
comments?

Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

Thanks!

Damian

Server recommendations

Post by Steve W » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Sound like a good system.

For hard drive space figure how much storage space you want to allow per
user. You may want all of them to have a rule that brings all mail to the
local machine--or even set storage space on another server for this--it is
all up to what resources you have avail. add to this a couple of gig for
basic functionality. You will have to consider factors such as: will
circular logging will be enabled, mail volume that you have now, and how
often backups are done.  If fault tolerance is important then you may want
different physical drives to separate the logfiles and the databases. Also,
will this machine have any other roles?(i.e.. BDC, File server, etc.)

For ram I think 128m is good to start--make sure and add to pagefile size
Ram +100 for exchange +11 for BDC, etc.

Just some general thoughts to consider, hope it helps.

>We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
>200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
>was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
>comments?

>Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

>Thanks!

>Damian

Server recommendations

Post by Lance Ques » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

We just purchased a new email server (haven't gotten it yet, though)
from a company called SAG Electronics. It is a dual PPro 200, 256mb RAM
and a RAID 5 consisting of 3 4.something GB drives. Everything I've read
about SAG has been positive. Hopefully we won't be dissapointed.

--
LQ
"We have to shout above the din of our Rice Krispies."

> We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
> 200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
> was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
> comments?

> Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

> Thanks!

> Damian

Server recommendations

Post by Chris Stenso » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
>200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
>was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
>comments?

>Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

>Thanks!

>Damian

Server recommendations

Post by Chris Stenso » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

If you don't mind spending the time I would recommend you built your server
yourself this way you can save some extra cash. We've just done this. We
bought 2 Dual Pentium II 233's This is ideal for us but you may consider
going up to Dual 300's. If you start off with one 128Mb DIMM and then look
at task manager to see the memory usage. If it's to close to 128Mb simply
bung in another DIMM.
On the issue of hard drives I would strongly recommend having as little
info. on the users local drives, store all thier info. in a public folder
such as Personal Files. We've got 2  4.3Gb drives which we've stripped, you
may consider buying something bigger. Just one last thing with the servers
Network cards I would strongly consider buying Adaptec's DUO 10/100 Fast
Ethernet cards, they really are the dogs.

Server recommendations

Post by Nathan Holma » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

do not under any circumstances build a production exchage server yourself.
there is no on-site warranty.  We have 600 on exchage server.  We use a
compaq dual ppro 200 2500R with 5x 9 gig drives that use RAID 5 giving us 36
gig of space.  make your NT partition 2 gig.  we have 600 mb of ram and we
have no problems
Nathan Holman
network manager
radiant systems

>>We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
>>200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
>>was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
>>comments?

>>Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

>>Thanks!

>>Damian

Server recommendations

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> do not under any circumstances build a production exchage server
yourself.
> there is no on-site warranty.  We have 600 on exchage server.  We use a
> compaq dual ppro 200 2500R with 5x 9 gig drives that use RAID 5 giving us
36
> gig of space.  make your NT partition 2 gig.  we have 600 mb of ram and
we
> have no problems
> Nathan Holman
> network manager
> radiant systems

        I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases.  For a large
installation, I would certainly recommend using prebuilt machines, but for
a small company (30-40 users max.), you can get away with a handbuilt
machine as long as a) the builder is around to answer questions and b)
spare parts can be had in less than a couple of hours.  Likewise, many
companies that sell built-from-components PCs also offer on-site service
(contract or included in price), especially if they do a lot of business
with companies.
        I could reproduce your PC hardware configuration, and as long as I was
wise in component selection, I bet I'd get the same level of performance
and reliability as your Compaq machine.  Unless they're using proprietary
parts exclusively (which I doubt SERIOUSLY), most of these components are
available on the open market and are identical to the ones that Compaq
uses.

Server recommendations

Post by paul sorense » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I would only use Compaq servers for this, they have a proven track record
and great support, if you would like help w/ the configuration, please call

>do not under any circumstances build a production exchage server yourself.
>there is no on-site warranty.  We have 600 on exchage server.  We use a
>compaq dual ppro 200 2500R with 5x 9 gig drives that use RAID 5 giving us
36
>gig of space.  make your NT partition 2 gig.  we have 600 mb of ram and we
>have no problems
>Nathan Holman
>network manager
>radiant systems

>>>We are looking to install a new exchange server that can handle approx
>>>200 users and a fulltime internet gateway.  We use Compaq servers and  I
>>>was thinking a dual 200 pentium pro  Proliant 2500 would suffice. Any
>>>comments?

>>>Also how much ram/ hard drive space do you think would be needed?

>>>Thanks!

>>>Damian

1. Need a fax server recommendation.

   I have exchange server 5.5 and I'm looking for a reliable fax
connector.  I want to be able to fax from my Win95/98 clients.  I read
some earlier posts that recommended GFI fax and Omtool.  Does anyone
have any good/bad experiences with these?  Any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris Rodriguez
H&D Technologies

2. Exchange/Outlook address books

3. Fax Server Recommendation Wanted

4. help with workflows

5. Key Management Server recommendations/problems

6. Fresh Exchange 2000 Install on a Primary DC

7. Site/Server Recommendations

8. exchange client hang for 2-3 minutes

9. Server recommendations

10. fax server recommendation(s)

11. e-mail client for exchange server recommendation needed

12. Need a fax server recommendation.

13. e-mail client for exchange server recommendation needed