Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

Post by Arran Faithful » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:38:13

Greetings,

I have a requirement within my network to have a Shared Contact Database
that is accessible and can be modified by the users, effectively creating a
Contact "pool" for the sales guys.

After hours of trying to figure this out I am resorting to asking the
question. Please Help!

Just like the MCSE exams here is the requirements:

Senario: Medium sized internet computer sales company would like to
collaborate individual staff members' contacts into a centeral area using
Exchange Server 2000. The managers of the company would prefer that some
contacts will only be visible by some staff members. Using Windows 2000
Professional with Outlook 2000 running off a Windows 2000 Server machine
with Exchange Server

Primary:

- The Mircosoft Exchange Server (which is also our PDC) must contain a
detailed contact database of our customers as a tool for sales reps.
- The database must be ready and capable for client machines to read, modify
and add contacts at thier own discresion.

Secondary:

- It would be preferable to have permissions for view control or filters on
certain contacts at a per user level. I.e. Managers have ability to see all
contacts, Accounts see account contacts, sales see customers etc.

---------

If you have any ideas how I might get this completed or any clues I might
use I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Arran Faithfull

Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

Post by <kgre.. » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:34:09

You can meet all of your primary relatively easy. The
secondary probably ain't gonna happen.

Anyway.

If you are the Exchange Admin, log in a use Outlook to
create a new public folder (right-click All Public
Folders... select New Folder) and make it a Contact type.

After you create it, right-click it and give the
appropriate permissions to anyone in the GAL.

Although anyone with permissions to view the public folder
will be able to view all contents (and so, not meet your
secondary criteria), you can give Managers (and only
managers) the ability to edit the contacts, while
Employees would have the ability ONLY to view.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings,

>I have a requirement within my network to have a Shared
Contact Database
>that is accessible and can be modified by the users,

effectively creating a
Quote:>Contact "pool" for the sales guys.

>After hours of trying to figure this out I am resorting
to asking the
>question. Please Help!

>Just like the MCSE exams here is the requirements:

>Senario: Medium sized internet computer sales company
would like to
>collaborate individual staff members' contacts into a
centeral area using
>Exchange Server 2000. The managers of the company would
prefer that some
>contacts will only be visible by some staff members.
Using Windows 2000
>Professional with Outlook 2000 running off a Windows 2000
Server machine
>with Exchange Server

>Primary:

>- The Mircosoft Exchange Server (which is also our PDC)
must contain a
>detailed contact database of our customers as a tool for
sales reps.
>- The database must be ready and capable for client

machines to read, modify
Quote:>and add contacts at thier own discresion.

>Secondary:

>- It would be preferable to have permissions for view

control or filters on

Quote:>certain contacts at a per user level. I.e. Managers have
ability to see all
>contacts, Accounts see account contacts, sales see
customers etc.

>---------

>If you have any ideas how I might get this completed or
any clues I might
>use I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

>Thanks for your time and best regards,

>Arran Faithfull

>.

1. Sharing contacts using Outlook 2000 & Exchange 2000

We have an Exchange 2000 server, and using Public
Folders.  People access it with Outlook 2000 or OWA.
Let's say we have two users that both have contacts
folders in the Public Folders range.  So there is a User1
and a User2 public folder.  Sometimes we have the need to
have a contact in both Users public folders.  I know we
could create a third general contacts folder for both to
access, but this would be unmanageable for us.

The problem is, if User1 updates a contact in theirs that
also happens to be a contact in User2, the updates
logically don't take place in User2's contacts public
folder.  So, is there a way to create one contact and
then have some sort of link to each of the users public
folders to show this user.  So that if either user
updates a certain contact it updates the main one - so
that any links will reflect the changes.  Any way of
doing something like this?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Scott

2. new server move

3. How to move contact list b/w msft.outlook and exchange 2000 server owa contact

4. IMC Signatures

5. Using Contact list in shared files on Exchange.

6. Outlook97 as MSExchange Client

7. Shared contact list using Exchange clients (5.0)

8. Exchange Server 5.5 and Virus blocking

9. Searching contacts using EntryId from Exchange 2000 using Exchange 2000 SDK

10. Forwarding from Public Folders to external contacts using Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000

11. Contacts sharing with Outlook 2000 and Exchange 5.5

12. Using The Exchange 2000 Mailbox Store to automatically update IM contact list

13. Shared Contact Lists in Exchange Server