IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

Post by Adrian Kho » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have an entire C-Class for my organisation.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following....

I would like Exchange Server 5 to work for abc.domain.org and
def.domain.org since they are both located in the same PC.  Is that
possible?
i.e. Work on both IP as a POP3 and SMTP server.  After all they are both in
the same PC.

Thanks

Adrian

IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

Post by Ray Sundstro » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Adrian,

Exchange 5 can be configured as an SMTP server using the Internet Mail
Service, and can present a POP3 interface.

The hostname.domainname.domainclass (abc.domain.org and def.domain.org) is
derived from the NT Machine Name, and Domain settings for the TCP/IP
protocol.  A host can only have one name, so you will have to decide if the
Machine Name is to be abc or def.

Is that what your were after?  To have two host names for the same host?
(This would be different from having two domains serviced by the same host,
which is possible.)

--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE

Quote:> I have an entire C-Class for my organisation.

> I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following....

> I would like Exchange Server 5 to work for abc.domain.org and
> def.domain.org since they are both located in the same PC.  Is that
> possible?
> i.e. Work on both IP as a POP3 and SMTP server.  After all they are both
in
> the same PC.

> Thanks

> Adrian

IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

Post by Ed Woodric » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

A little correction:

The hostname.domainname.domainclass isn't derived from the NT equivalents.
They are actually not even related. It is very possible that they can be
the same, but absolutely no requirement.

A host can have many names. A few hundred if need be. All that needs to
occur to receive mail for multiple domains on one system is to setup the
DNS MX record to all point to the same machine. Then you would need to
setup the IMS routing to accept mail for all domains and then finally add
some mailboxes that have the new domain name as their SMTP address. You can
also have one person with multiple SMTP addresses in multiple domains.
--
Ed Woodrick
EDCOM

> Adrian,

> Exchange 5 can be configured as an SMTP server using the Internet Mail
> Service, and can present a POP3 interface.

> The hostname.domainname.domainclass (abc.domain.org and def.domain.org)
is
> derived from the NT Machine Name, and Domain settings for the TCP/IP
> protocol.  A host can only have one name, so you will have to decide if
the
> Machine Name is to be abc or def.

> Is that what your were after?  To have two host names for the same host?
> (This would be different from having two domains serviced by the same
host,
> which is possible.)

> --
> Ray Sundstrom
> MCSE

> > I have an entire C-Class for my organisation.

> > I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following....

> > I would like Exchange Server 5 to work for abc.domain.org and
> > def.domain.org since they are both located in the same PC.  Is that
> > possible?
> > i.e. Work on both IP as a POP3 and SMTP server.  After all they are
both
> in
> > the same PC.

> > Thanks

> > Adrian

IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

Post by Ray Sundstro » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Ed

Are you saying that a single TCP/IP address can resolve to multiple host
names by way of DNS records?

Something like:

company.com             MX      host1.company.com
company.com             MX      host2.company.com
company.com             MX      host3.company.com
host1.company.com       A       10.10.10.1
host2.company.com       A       10.10.10.1
host3.company.com       A       10.10.10.1

I guess I never thought about that way of qualifying a host name, but it
seems to make sense on the surface.  Have you actually implemented DNS in
this or a similar  manner?

If this works, thanks for the mental expansion.

Regards,
Ray

Quote:> A little correction:

IMS Help Can IMS (in Exchanger Server 5) serve as a POP for multiple domains/IP?

Post by Adrian Kho » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have set up all the DNS properly... i.e.

abc.com A       203.x.x.10
bde.com A       203.x.x.11
abc.com MX
bde.com MX

The only thing is that both these domain are in the same PC.  Is it
possible to have a mail server called

mail.abc.com    and     mail.bde.com

i.e. with two separate IP addresses.. but single Exchange server 5
running...

Thanks

Adrian