Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 DC - Install Hangs

Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 DC - Install Hangs

Post by Luke Irelan » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:49:04

I have read several posts in here similiar to my problem and have
implemented some of the suggestions - but none seem to help me.

Here is a list of my lead up and installation procedures:

I wish to add my Exchange 2K server installed in Windows 2K AD to Exchange
5.5 Site installed in NT 4.0 domain and move mailboxes etc etc as necessary.

I only have one server available to build all this on.

1) Install Windows2000 Advanced Server w/ full IIS Components and DNS
2) Run DCPROMO - this server is first server, first site, first forest.
3) Change Server to Native Mode.
4) Setup two way trust between Windows 2K AD and NT 4.0 Domain
5) Add Windows 2K Domain Admins to NT 4.0 Local Admins Group
6) Give Windows 2K Domain Admins, permissions on Org, Site, Server and
Config within Exchange 5.5
7) Install ADC that comes with Windows2000 - and configure a connection to
my Exchange Server
8) Run ForestPrep - say i want to join existing site
9) Install ADC that comes with Exchange2000 - and configure as Microsoft
docos request you to
10) Run DomainPrep
11) Install Exchange with Typical Option

Install dies/hangs half way through the installation of Messaging etc etc
point that it says it is upto is Installing "some" database and initializing
(sorry i can't be more descriptive) - seems to be trying to copy DS from the
Exchange 5.5 server or something to that effect. However if it is copying DS
it shouldn't take very long cause our DS is only 5Mb in size - and i have
let the install sit at this point for upto 6hrs.

Look in event log and find ExchangeSRS error 1309 - Port is already in use -
further research shows that it has something to do with LDAP and LDAP SSL
ports being used by Windows 2000 AD and Exchange - ????

So I am stuck - hoping for all you experts to help me out.

Please don't come back to me and say that you can't join a site if you are
installing Exch2k on a Win2k DC

Luke

Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 DC - Install Hangs

Post by Luke Irelan » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:45:30

More info for you all

Exchange Install Stops when Installing Site Replication Service database and
initializing

In EventVwr - Application Log - there are two errors which read

Source: ExchangeSRS
Category: LDAP Interface
Event ID: 1309
Desc: Register LDAP SSL Protocol failed with error 10048. The LDAP SSL
Server is not available. Make sure port number 37689 is not used by another
application.

Source: ExchangeSRS
Category: LDAP Interface
Event ID: 1313
Desc: LDAP Server reports an error status. Shut down and restart the
Microsoft SRS service

Luke

Post by Luke Irelan » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:23:10

More info for you all

Exchange Install Stops when Installing Site Replication Service database and
initializing

In EventVwr - Application Log - there are two errors which read

Source: ExchangeSRS
Category: LDAP Interface
Event ID: 1309
Desc: Register LDAP SSL Protocol failed with error 10048. The LDAP SSL
Server is not available. Make sure port number 37689 is not used by another
application.

Source: ExchangeSRS
Category: LDAP Interface
Event ID: 1313
Desc: LDAP Server reports an error status. Shut down and restart the
Microsoft SRS service

I am starting to think this product is pretty dodgy. Like Microsoft says -
yes yes it can do this and do that - but when you get down to real life it
does nothing at all and anything it attempts to do it completely screws
itself up.

Sorry I may sound harsh but I have spent a week of man hours working on this
problem - nowhere have i found any documentation saying that you can't
install Exch2k into an already exisiting Exch5.5 site when you are
installing the new exch2k server on a win2k dc. And frankly if that isn't
possible then mailboxes conversions and the like will never work in this
environ.

HELP HELP HELP - relieve me of the pain.....:-P

Luke