Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Derek Ea » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
shutdow for over an hour.

Eventually I gave up and just decided that I must have screwed
something up, so I reformatted my hard drive and started over. This
was on Friday. Today I've completely rebuilt my server and the last
thing I added was Exchange 5.5. Well about 2 or 3 hours later BOOM!
There was the dreaded DRWTSN32.EXE taking up 100% of the CPU. So I'm
left with the conclusion that it was Exchange that was causing the
problem all along. I suppose it could be Exchange improperly
interacting with some of the other programs installed on my server.
Here is a list all things running on this machine: RAS, DHCP, Option
Pack (MTS 2, IIS 4), Proxy Server 2, and SQL Server 6.5. While I know
that it would be better to separate some of these things onto multiple
servers that is not currently an option. Oh, my machine is NT Server
4.0 sp3.

So I've now tried to find all possible fixes for Exchange 5.5. So far
I've installed the rollup fix, the MTA fix, and the ESE fix. If there
are any service packs or other pertinent fixes please let me know. Or
if it would simply be better to go back to Exchange 5.0 or 4.0 please
let me know. The main thing I'm using exchange for is to allow my
users to use email on different machines on the network, and to also
allow our notebook users to sync their folders when disconnecting from
the net.

Thanks in advance, Derek

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Dustin Smith [MVP » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping when
the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is trapping
could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are running
on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson process
that is taking up 100% CPU?

--
Dustin Smith
Microsoft BackOffice MVP - Exchange

>Hi,

>I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
>kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
>the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
>eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
>shutdow for over an hour.

>Eventually I gave up and just decided that I must have screwed
>something up, so I reformatted my hard drive and started over. This
>was on Friday. Today I've completely rebuilt my server and the last
>thing I added was Exchange 5.5. Well about 2 or 3 hours later BOOM!
>There was the dreaded DRWTSN32.EXE taking up 100% of the CPU. So I'm
>left with the conclusion that it was Exchange that was causing the
>problem all along. I suppose it could be Exchange improperly
>interacting with some of the other programs installed on my server.
>Here is a list all things running on this machine: RAS, DHCP, Option
>Pack (MTS 2, IIS 4), Proxy Server 2, and SQL Server 6.5. While I know
>that it would be better to separate some of these things onto multiple
>servers that is not currently an option. Oh, my machine is NT Server
>4.0 sp3.

>So I've now tried to find all possible fixes for Exchange 5.5. So far
>I've installed the rollup fix, the MTA fix, and the ESE fix. If there
>are any service packs or other pertinent fixes please let me know. Or
>if it would simply be better to go back to Exchange 5.0 or 4.0 please
>let me know. The main thing I'm using exchange for is to allow my
>users to use email on different machines on the network, and to also
>allow our notebook users to sync their folders when disconnecting from
>the net.

>Thanks in advance, Derek

>Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Derek Ea » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 4 May 1998 09:49:43 -0500, "Dustin Smith [MVP]"

>You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping when
>the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is trapping
>could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are running
>on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson process
>that is taking up 100% CPU?

It is Drwatson which is taking up 98-100% of the CPU time. I have no
more detail about what error Dr. Watson is trapping since the system
is pretty much hosed, and I don't get any error messages. So far it
has been a little over 24 hours since I installed the service packs
and my last problem which caused a restart.

Derek

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Penelope Bake » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

The very first thing I'd suggest is to eliminate any unecessary services
running in the background or any unecessary apps.  PCAnywhere, Norton
crap, Virus detection software, backup stuff.  Make sure that your
problem REALLY is Exchange and not something else trying to interact
with it...

I'd suggest that you format, reinstall and put nothing but NT 4.0, SP3,
and Exchange (with latest service pack) and give it a go.  If it works,
slowly add things back one by one (wait a day or so between products)
and see what is causing your error for sure.

Peace,
Penny

> You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping when
> the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is trapping
> could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are running
> on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson process
> that is taking up 100% CPU?

> --
> Dustin Smith
> Microsoft BackOffice MVP - Exchange

> >Hi,

> >I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
> >kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
> >the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
> >eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
> >shutdow for over an hour.

> >Eventually I gave up and just decided that I must have screwed
> >something up, so I reformatted my hard drive and started over. This
> >was on Friday. Today I've completely rebuilt my server and the last
> >thing I added was Exchange 5.5. Well about 2 or 3 hours later BOOM!
> >There was the dreaded DRWTSN32.EXE taking up 100% of the CPU. So I'm
> >left with the conclusion that it was Exchange that was causing the
> >problem all along. I suppose it could be Exchange improperly
> >interacting with some of the other programs installed on my server.
> >Here is a list all things running on this machine: RAS, DHCP, Option
> >Pack (MTS 2, IIS 4), Proxy Server 2, and SQL Server 6.5. While I know
> >that it would be better to separate some of these things onto multiple
> >servers that is not currently an option. Oh, my machine is NT Server
> >4.0 sp3.

> >So I've now tried to find all possible fixes for Exchange 5.5. So far
> >I've installed the rollup fix, the MTA fix, and the ESE fix. If there
> >are any service packs or other pertinent fixes please let me know. Or
> >if it would simply be better to go back to Exchange 5.0 or 4.0 please
> >let me know. The main thing I'm using exchange for is to allow my
> >users to use email on different machines on the network, and to also
> >allow our notebook users to sync their folders when disconnecting from
> >the net.

> >Thanks in advance, Derek

> >Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Richard S. Champli » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Derek,
Did you actually verify that the Exchange databases were okay? Did you
restore your old IS/DS when you rebuilt your server? If so, I would check
the IS for corruption....
Richard S. Champlin
United Way of the Mid-South

>The very first thing I'd suggest is to eliminate any unecessary services
>running in the background or any unecessary apps.  PCAnywhere, Norton
>crap, Virus detection software, backup stuff.  Make sure that your
>problem REALLY is Exchange and not something else trying to interact
>with it...
[big snip]

>> >Hi,

>> >I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
>> >kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
>> >the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
>> >eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
>> >shutdow for over an hour.

>> >Eventually I gave up and just decided that I must have screwed
>> >something up, so I reformatted my hard drive and started over. This
>> >was on Friday. Today I've completely rebuilt my server and the last
>> >thing I added was Exchange 5.5. Well about 2 or 3 hours later BOOM!
>> >There was the dreaded DRWTSN32.EXE taking up 100% of the CPU. So I'm
>> >left with the conclusion that it was Exchange that was causing the
>> >problem all along. I suppose it could be Exchange improperly
>> >interacting with some of the other programs installed on my server.
>> >Here is a list all things running on this machine: RAS, DHCP, Option
>> >Pack (MTS 2, IIS 4), Proxy Server 2, and SQL Server 6.5. While I know
>> >that it would be better to separate some of these things onto multiple
>> >servers that is not currently an option. Oh, my machine is NT Server
>> >4.0 sp3.

>> >So I've now tried to find all possible fixes for Exchange 5.5. So far
>> >I've installed the rollup fix, the MTA fix, and the ESE fix. If there
>> >are any service packs or other pertinent fixes please let me know. Or
>> >if it would simply be better to go back to Exchange 5.0 or 4.0 please
>> >let me know. The main thing I'm using exchange for is to allow my
>> >users to use email on different machines on the network, and to also
>> >allow our notebook users to sync their folders when disconnecting from
>> >the net.

>> >Thanks in advance, Derek

>> >Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Philip A. Herzfel » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

I have experienced the same problem. After several weeeks of trying to
trakc it's source down (disabling various services, etc.) I finally decided
it was Dr Watson itself. I renamed the Drwatson.exe in the winnt folder.
although I don't have Dr watson when a problem occurs, I also have not had
to reboot my system every other day since. In Fact since renaming the
watson file, I have had my server running for several weeks at a time
without rebooting.  It is currently running exch 5.0 (sp1), sql 6.5, it the
PDC, and runs diskeeper, winfax pro, IIS and several 'custom' services.
--
Philip A. Herzfeld,  Mystic Software

> On Mon, 4 May 1998 09:49:43 -0500, "Dustin Smith [MVP]"

> >You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping
when
> >the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is
trapping
> >could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are
running
> >on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson
process
> >that is taking up 100% CPU?

> It is Drwatson which is taking up 98-100% of the CPU time. I have no
> more detail about what error Dr. Watson is trapping since the system
> is pretty much hosed, and I don't get any error messages. So far it
> has been a little over 24 hours since I installed the service packs
> and my last problem which caused a restart.

> Derek

> Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Derek Ea » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Phillip,

That is a good suggestion. I've never gotten (sp?) any value from Dr.
Watson in my whole life. This thing is toast on my system! My machine
ran into the problem again today after being up for almost a week, and
I had to restart.

So much for NT's vaunted reliability. The thing is, that before I did
this massive upgrade to Exchange 5.5, IIS4, and Proxy 2, my NT server
never crashed. Not once did I have to restart other than when
installing some option which required a reboot.

Before I used to scoff at all those people who were forever harping on
NT not being reliable. But now I will have to cut them a little slack.
Not being able to track this problem down is just ridiculous.

Derek

On Wed, 06 May 1998 01:06:15 -0700, "Philip A. Herzfeld"

>I have experienced the same problem. After several weeeks of trying to
>trakc it's source down (disabling various services, etc.) I finally decided
>it was Dr Watson itself. I renamed the Drwatson.exe in the winnt folder.
>although I don't have Dr watson when a problem occurs, I also have not had
>to reboot my system every other day since. In Fact since renaming the
>watson file, I have had my server running for several weeks at a time
>without rebooting.  It is currently running exch 5.0 (sp1), sql 6.5, it the
>PDC, and runs diskeeper, winfax pro, IIS and several 'custom' services.

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Per Larsso » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

Ive ran into a similar problem with 100% utilization and store.exe slowly
chewing up all available RAM. The solution was to apply the ese.dll fix and
then do a defragmentation with edbutil.
Good luck!

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

>I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
>kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
>the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
>eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
>shutdow for over an hour.

MS PSS has a hot-fixed DRWTSN32 that fixed this problem for me. The
darn thing would never produce a log or dump of an AV. I'd have to
kill the DRWTSN32 task to return the system to a usable state.

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Myrddin Emr » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 4 May 1998 09:49:43 -0500, we received this message from

>>I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
>>kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
>>the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
>>eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
>>shutdow for over an hour.

>You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping when
>the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is trapping
>could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are running
>on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson process
>that is taking up 100% CPU?

I believe his problem is that Dr. Watson never gets around to GIVING
an error message. It sits at 100% CPU permanently. Essentially, Dr.
Watson seems to be crashing.

Derek, how long have you waited for Dr. Watson to finish before
attempting to shutdown? Ten minutes? An hour?

Myrddin
--
Myrddin Emrys, Io Systems Network Administrator

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>On Mon, 4 May 1998 09:49:43 -0500, we received this message from

>>>I've been having all kinds of trouble after rebuilding my NT Server. I
>>>kept running into a problem where the program DRWTSN32.EXE would take
>>>the CPU to 100% and the system would be pretty much unsuable. I'd
>>>eventually have to hit the reset button after the system tried to
>>>shutdow for over an hour.

>>You will need more detail on what kind of error Dr. Watson is trapping when
>>the application error occurs. The application error that Watson is trapping
>>could be coming from anywhere due to the amount of services you are running
>>on this machine. If you open Performance Monitor, is it the Drwatson process
>>that is taking up 100% CPU?

>I believe his problem is that Dr. Watson never gets around to GIVING
>an error message. It sits at 100% CPU permanently. Essentially, Dr.
>Watson seems to be crashing.

>Derek, how long have you waited for Dr. Watson to finish before
>attempting to shutdown? Ten minutes? An hour?

CALL MS PSS and ask for the hot-fixed DRWTSN32.EXE. It fixed that
situation on MY machines!

Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>I've been experiencing the exact problem and have supported others
>experiencing the same problem.  Thanks for the tip, Richard, but last time I
>called MS PSS they wanted $195 before I could talk to anyone!

The customer service reps you talk to before you get to a technician
have no choice but to get your billing information "up front." They're
not technical people and don't have the ability to determine if your
problem is billable or not. Give then the credit card info and when
you get to the technician, remind him to cancel the charge. There's no
charge for a hot-fix or a real bug.

Quote:>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/ shows nothing.
>I'm off to the wild wild Internet in search of this fix, otherwise I'll kill
>Dr. Watson (by renaming it).

That's one approach. But, since the fix doesn't cost anything, why not
get it?

If you have any other de*s you can make one of them the default
in place of DRWTSN32.

Quote:>BTW, http://www.veryComputer.com/

Perhaps for those that MS has placed on their ftp site, but if they're
distributing other hot-fixes I'd watch out for real problems!
Hot-fixes are not regression checked and using one that "seems" to fix
you problem may be interacting with other areas of the system and
causing other problems. Without access to the most recent hot-fix you
have very little control over what problems you're injecting into the
system.

1. Dr. Watson and 100% CPU utilization

[...]

2. GAL Lookup Agent

3. Cannot see group memberships

4. CPU 100% Utilization.

5. Exchange to Outlook latency

6. Information Store at 95-100% CPU Utilization

7. Help setting up OWA

8. Store.exe and CPU utilization is 100%

9. Inetinfo.exe (OWA) taking 100% CPU Utilization

10. store.exe causing 100% CPU Utilization

11. STORE process causing 100% CPU utilization

12. Need help 100% cpu utilization on dsamain.exe