Moving Exchange to New Server, New Domain, New Site

Moving Exchange to New Server, New Domain, New Site

Post by Brian Lawto » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am consolidating three NT domains to one domain.  Before I arrived, things
were not standardized or even really setup properly (even the Exchange
server has a mispelled name "Exhange1" - no "c").  I have reduced us down to
one domain, but still need to move all the users' mailboxes off of the old
exchange server to a new server in the new domain.  I have not been able to
find any good references as to how to get all of the users' old email off
the old one to the new one.  The only solution I have come up with is going
to each user's desktop, adding a personal folder, switching profiles for the
new server, and then uploading the contents of the personal folder.  I would
really hate to have to do that since we have alot of users.  I already tried
using "alternate recipient", but I couldn't get it to work properly.  If
someone has done this before, please help me!

Thanks,
Brian R. Lawton

Moving Exchange to New Server, New Domain, New Site

Post by E » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:32:32 -0700, "Brian Lawton"

>I am consolidating three NT domains to one domain.  Before I arrived, things
>were not standardized or even really setup properly (even the Exchange
>server has a mispelled name "Exhange1" - no "c").  I have reduced us down to
>one domain, but still need to move all the users' mailboxes off of the old
>exchange server to a new server in the new domain.  I have not been able to
>find any good references as to how to get all of the users' old email off
>the old one to the new one.  The only solution I have come up with is going
>to each user's desktop, adding a personal folder, switching profiles for the
>new server, and then uploading the contents of the personal folder.  I would
>really hate to have to do that since we have alot of users.  I already tried
>using "alternate recipient", but I couldn't get it to work properly.  If
>someone has done this before, please help me!

>Thanks,
>Brian R. Lawton

First off i am going to assume that the old exchange server is in the
same domain as the new one now, correct? And all the users have
permission to view either mailbox, (old and new). If this is the case,
and the exchanger servers are linked in the GAL,  then go into the new
mailbox and go Tools | Services | Exchange Server | Properties |
Advanced and add the other (older mailbox) and now move the
messages/contacts etc.  straight across to the new mailbox and remove
it in the method above.

Saves you a few steps.  Also, if you have permission to view their
mailboxes, just sit in your office and add both mailboxes to your
client and do it from their. Less painful.

Erik