Exchange Setup/Migration to a new Box - Please Help!

Exchange Setup/Migration to a new Box - Please Help!

Post by Steve McCarth » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:28:34

Guru's of Exchange, Please Assiste Me

Situation:
    I came to a company that has Exchange 5.5 setup through Small Business
Server.  Previous efforts by non IT people have the server unreliable and in
need of a rebuild.  I want to move everything off the server, mailboxes,
users, etc., but am not sure how to proceed with Exchange.  In addition, I
want to get rid of our "jerry rigged" system and move the External Email
functions onto the new server.

The setup I inherited is.
Exchange 5.5 is being used for internal Email
An external Imail account is setup on the internet with duplicate users for
all outgoing and incoming Email

The new server is ready and I'm ready to install Exchange 5.5

What would be the best strategy on the new installation and migration over
to the new server, as well as getting rid of this external system.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks
Steve

Exchange Setup/Migration to a new Box - Please Help!

Post by Bria » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 05:42:50

On the 5.5 CD, there is a lot of documentation concerning migration.  You
only need one mail service for internal and external mail.  Possible POP
mail??

Quote:> Guru's of Exchange, Please Assiste Me

> Situation:
>     I came to a company that has Exchange 5.5 setup through Small Business
> Server.  Previous efforts by non IT people have the server unreliable and
in
> need of a rebuild.  I want to move everything off the server, mailboxes,
> users, etc., but am not sure how to proceed with Exchange.  In addition, I
> want to get rid of our "jerry rigged" system and move the External Email
> functions onto the new server.

> The setup I inherited is.
> Exchange 5.5 is being used for internal Email
> An external Imail account is setup on the internet with duplicate users
for
> all outgoing and incoming Email

> The new server is ready and I'm ready to install Exchange 5.5

> What would be the best strategy on the new installation and migration over
> to the new server, as well as getting rid of this external system.

> I would appreciate any help!

> Thanks
> Steve

Exchange Setup/Migration to a new Box - Please Help!

Post by Elizabeth Thompso » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 06:38:56

You might want to look into exmerge for part of your problem. It might or might
not work for your situation.

From MS Support - Article ID: Q174197 - The Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge
Program (Exmerge.exe) enables an Exchange Server administrator to extract data
from mailboxes on an Exchange Server computer and then merge this data into the
same mailboxes on another computer that is running Exchange Server.

Elizabeth Thompson
CCBC

Quote:-----Original Message-----

[...]

.

1. Migration of Exchange 5.5 to a new server!!PLEASE HELP

Please suggest.
I have an emergency situation going on in my company. I have to move our
mail server to a different computer as soon as possible. Some details
about previous and new servers:

previous: HP NetServer LH, 196Mb RAM, 9GB HDD (2.5 and 6.5 Gb
partitions), running NT 4.0, SP3 and Exchange Server 5.5 trial (expires
in the end of March)

new: HP NetServer LH, 196Mb RAM, RAID 5 (five 9Gb hard-disks in RAID +
one 9Gb as a hot-spare), running NT 4.0, SP3, Exchange Server 5.5
Enterprise Edition

Our current server is a production machine and it has 90 mailboxes +
many public folders, newsgroups and WebAccess.
What is the best way to migrate from old computer to a  new one??
Please help me if you know the answer, my email address is

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Mike

2. Directory Synchs

3. How to set up directory settings in Outlook Express

4. OWA automatic logon

5. new site setup: exchange server 5.5 on NT4srv : ERROR C1030B11 HELP PLEASE

6. Appointments not showing proper originator

7. E2k to new box - urgent help please

8. BIG PROBLEMS Please Help Please Help Please Help Please Help

9. Please, Please help with Exchange 2000 setup

10. exchange not retrieving mail (need help with setup) Please HELP