Not Seeing Windows 2000 Active Directory

Not Seeing Windows 2000 Active Directory

Post by Stephen William » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 07:14:13

Maybe someone has seen this. I am doing a fresh install of
exchange 2000. It is being installed on a server that is
part of the domain, but is not running as a PDC or BDC ie
Windows 2000 Server. It is how ever part of the domain. I
login to the server and it see's the domain and excepts
the login of the administrator of the Active Directory
Server. The install has been tried with the default
settings, and custom settings. It appears the install just
fine. When I attempt to do anything ie. start the active
directory users and computers on the installed server and
create a mail box, it gives me an error saying **The
Specified Domain either does not exist or cannot be
contacted.**

I can install it on the Active Directory System, and it
appears to run ok, but I was under the impression it could
be install in the above method.

Can someone clear this up for me.
Any help would be great!

Not Seeing Windows 2000 Active Directory

Post by Stephen William » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:53:05

Resolved! Forestprep, and domainprep issue!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Maybe someone has seen this. I am doing a fresh install
of
>exchange 2000. It is being installed on a server that is
>part of the domain, but is not running as a PDC or BDC ie
>Windows 2000 Server. It is how ever part of the domain. I
>login to the server and it see's the domain and excepts
>the login of the administrator of the Active Directory
>Server. The install has been tried with the default
>settings, and custom settings. It appears the install
just
>fine. When I attempt to do anything ie. start the active
>directory users and computers on the installed server and
>create a mail box, it gives me an error saying **The
>Specified Domain either does not exist or cannot be
>contacted.**

>I can install it on the Active Directory System, and it
>appears to run ok, but I was under the impression it
could
>be install in the above method.

>Can someone clear this up for me.
>Any help would be great!
>.

1. Windows 2000 - Exchange 2000 - ISA - Active Directory replication does not occur

Hi,

Does anyone have a clue about how Active Directory replication can
take place between two Windows 2000 Exchange servers on Windows 2000
servers seperated by two ISA (Internet Security and Administration)
servers ?

Thanks

CMC

Problems we faced at the LAB setup of  two Windows 2000 machines
connected back to back

Windows 2000 and ADS gets installed properly on both the sides.
Inter-site replication also works. User management is possible from
either end. The Exchange 2000 at first site is proper. At the other
sites, domainprep fails with the error " Cannot contact Schema master
for this forest. Cannot contact the active directory". DNS is working
properly-tested with nslookup and ping.

We have tried seizing the Schema master role. With this the domainprep
works but Exchange installation stops at a point saying “ Setup
failed while installing MS-Ex server level objects”. After this
the installation goes forward and finishes. But if we check in the
Exchange system Manager, the Server object is created but none of its
virtual servers or storage groups are present. Also none of the
Exchange Services get installed.

What is the procedure for manually removing a failed/bad/lost link
domain controller from the Active  Directory-other that dcpromo to
demote? If the link is broken, dcpromo is not able to contact the PDC
and stops. There is no other option but to reinstall Windows 2000 from
scratch.

Which ports to map to which internal server on the ISA? Is it such
that if we use SMTP site links, only SMTP port needs to be opened on
the firewall? Do we need to open all the ports of the firewall or only
SMTP and DNS? If so, which ports are to be linked to which exe on the
Domain Controller?

What is the best way to do bulk import/export of users? The GUI export
tool creates a .csv file but the command line import utility csvde is
not able to import users. The ldifde utility is available but it is
complicated if the objects of one container have to b imported into
another container.

What should be the sequence of operation? Now we are planning to work
in the following manner-
First we directly connect the two domain controllers-giving them the
external address directly-install the ADS on both of them, keeping the
subnet as the external ip address subnet and different sites. We
create a SMTP site link
Then we install Exchange 2000 on one of the servers.
Next, we install Exchange 2000 on the other server.

Then we introduce the firewall at one of the ends. We give the domain
controller ip address to the external interface of the firewall and
give dc and the internal interface of the firewall LAN addresses. We
link the SMTP port of the firewall to the inetinfo.exe on the dc/mail
server.

We configure the firewall  similarly at the other end.

Lastly we will configure the third server as additional domain
controller for that domain and make it the PDC, RID and
Operations/Infrastructure Master.

2. customising OWA welcome screen

3. Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 account ?

4. Multiple email

5. The fourth tab of exchange not seen in Active Directory users and computers snap in

6. IExchangeEventHandler header file

7. Active Directory 2003 and Exchange 2000 install on Windows 2000 SP3 question

8. Deleting SMTP Queues

9. Implementing Active Directory / Migrate to Windows 2000

10. Windows 2000 installing active directory

11. How to Add Contacts on windows 2000 Active Directory

12. Exchange 2000 In Windows 2000 Active Active Cluser

13. Exchange 5.5 + Windows 2000 Active Directory