smtp on front end or backend

Post by Tony » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:18:21

I am currently running both front end and back end servers behind a
firewall. No DMZ. smtp is enabled on both servers but only accepting mail on
the back end.

The only thing open on the fron end is http and https (OWA)

backend I have mapi, imap and smtp opened.

Question is would it be better to move smtp and imap to the front end
instead?

This is a test enviroment. Users will need to do imap, smtp but I am not
sure whats better, put imap and smtp on the front end or backend.

Thanks

1. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

I have recently implemented a FE/BE configuration for security reasons.  OWA
works perfectly when connecting to the front end.  But, if someone using
IMAP or POP when attaching to the FE, the Client (we are using Outlook
express) gives an error like the following:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by

Subject '', Account: 'IMAP Mail', Server: '192.168.1.92', Protocol: SMTP,

Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now, the BE server has been configured for SMTP relay for a while, and IMAP
and POP3 works fine if you connect to it.  But the FE is the problem.  I
read some posts about setting up a Smart Host in SMTP, but I didn't know
exactly what they meant and I tried it and it didn't work on the FE and BE.
I also configured the FE SMTP relay exactly the same as the BE relay.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?  Or where I went wrong?

Thank you

            -Daric Smith

2. ::: How 2 demote BDC after errored /forestprep !!!

3. Question on front-end/backend smtp connector

4. Permissions question

5. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

6. How can I let the mail user change his password?

7. Email Generator

8. Ex SP3 upgrade, backend/front end upg order query

9. Front end / Backend servers

10. E2k3 Front End for E2k Backend

11. 2 backend server and 1 front end

12. front end Instant Messeging in Backend Cluster