3 exchange server moving to 3 domains

Post by Bill Baile » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

--------------4186D136F89E8996359870B9

I currently have 3 exchange servers 2 running on BDC 's. These BDC 's
will be migrated to PDC 's. Yet all the exchange servers need to sync
there mail and people in one domain need to be able to access calanders
on a exchange server on another domain. can Exchange 5.0 do this ?

--------------4186D136F89E8996359870B9

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bill  Bailey
n:              Bailey;Bill
org:            Ryobi America Corporation
adr:            225 Pumpkintown Rd;;;Pickens;SC;29607;US

title:          Sr. Network & Communications Mgr
tel;work:       864-878-6331
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I currently have 3 exchange servers 2 running on BDC 's. These BDC 's
>will be migrated to PDC 's. Yet all the exchange servers need to sync
>there mail and people in one domain need to be able to access calanders
>on a exchange server on another domain. can Exchange 5.0 do this ?

You can have only one PDC in a domain. A BDC may be promoted to a PDC
but that will demote the current PDC to a BDC. I think you're looking
at reinstalling the BDC's as PDC's in their own distinct NT Domain.

This reinstallation may pose a problem. The SAM (containing the NT
accounts) on the new Domain Controllers will not have any of the old
NT User Accounts, NT Group Accounts, user rights, etc. Depending on
the Domain model you choose this may require you to change the
Exchange Site Service account (which may or may not work successfully)
and reestablish the Exchange mailboxes Primary NT Account.

Beyond the problem of NT Domains, NT Accounts and SID's, the answer to
your question is that you can continue to do what you're doing today.
The NT Domains provide the security and user authentication for
Exchange but it's the Exchange organization\site structure that
determines access to your folders.