Exchange 2003 RC1 BUG: Uninstall fails if original install location UNC renamed or removed

Exchange 2003 RC1 BUG: Uninstall fails if original install location UNC renamed or removed

Post by Gardner von Hol » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:03:29

Hi,

Looks like if you install Exch2K3 RC1 from a network install UNC, and the
server hosting the UNC is renamed or removed, then you cannot successfully
uninstall exchange from the control panel.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Install Exch2K3 RC1 on computer \\bar from a network install location,
say \\foo\e2k3Ins
    (In my case this was a second server in an existing site).
2) Remove the server \\foo from the network
3) On \\bar, go to add/remove programs.  Choose to remove Exch2K3 RC1
OBSERVE 1:  after longs waits, on 2nd screen, all tasks fail.
OBSERVE 2:  on the install log on the \\bar machine, numerous error messages
about wrong accounts and retrying after waiting.  It appears that the
uninstall script is trying to access the original install location on \\foo
and failing.
EXCPECTED BEHAVOIR:  I expected the uninstall after failing to find the
server to bring up a dialog box asking for an alternate location for the
install files, allowing me to point to the new location of the files (In my
case the server in question had been renamed).
WORKAROUND: Run the Exch2k3 setup program from the new location.  Choose
remove and things work fine.

I was able to workaround this, but thought it should go in the list of
things to look at.

1. Exchange 2003 RC1 ADC install failing

I have an isolated test lab with the following

NT 4.0 PDC upgraded to Windows Server 2003 DC running AD
NT 4.0 machine running Exchange 5.5 SP4
Windows 2000 Pro standalone client
Standard Windows 2003 server

I am attempting to install the Exchange 2003 RC1 ADC from the install
folder.  It gets about 90% complete and reports the following error

An internal component failed
c1037989a
Microsoft Active Directory Connector

it then fails the install and quits...

anyone encounter this or have any recommendations - I have dont
nothing in this lab except install the OSs, install Exchange 5.5, and
upgrade the PDC.  Do I need to do anything like forestprep, etc..
first?

2. Setting up Key Management

3. Win 2003 Exchange 2003 RC1 with Office 2003 Beta 2

4. ETRN problems

5. Exchange 2003 RC1 Install

6. disable users from reciving attachments?

7. question about install Exchange 2003 RC1

8. Exchange Help

9. Exchange 2003 RC1 with Outlook 2003 Beta 2

10. How to enable Outlook Web Access 2003 on Exchange 2003 (RC1)

11. RC1: Will Exchange 2003 appear before Octover/2003?

12. Exchange 2003 Install Error (Server Groups location)

13. EXC 2003 RC1 and Windows.Net Server 2003 Beta