How does internet e-mail know where to transfer?

How does internet e-mail know where to transfer?

Post by Scott Wendel » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:26:43

    We own two mail servers; NTMail on Server1 AND Exchange Server 5.5 Rev.
3 on Server2. Currently our main NTMail Server account:

configured with that e-mail address and successfully receives the mail. My
question is why does this work?
I have the Internet Mail Service 'Routing' set to 'reroute' mail sent to
wt.com to <inbound>. Our domain is wendelltextiles.com, not wt.com (we don't
own wt.com, nor do I have a DNS record for the name, when I ping it the name
on Exchange server it goes outside to some other company on the internet).

1. How does the mail forwarded from the Server1 NTMail Server know that
Exchange Server2 is the recipient for wt.com e-mail?
2. I thought e-mail couldn't be collected from POP3 accounts, how am I doing
it? Is it because I'm forwarding, rather then trying to retrieve from a
mailbox?  I guess everyone could set there e-mail to be forwarded from their
POP server to their exchange server to successfully collect pop3 mail in
Exchange?

1. How does internet e-mail know where to transfer?

[...]

2. how to give user permission to send to distribution group

3. Email directly from public contacts in OWA2000

4. allow internet mail for particular user to only one internet email address

5. Read/Unread status changes weekly on Public Folders

6. How to: Create Internet Email Distribution List of Outlook 2000 Internet Email Recipients

7. Shipping: Is 5.0 shipping yet?

8. Can replications be done via internet

9. E-mail: Transferring my Exchange e-mails to my new machine

10. Auto-Forwarding Email - Can It Be Done?

11. Editing Email Bounce message (can it be done?)

12. Doing an Email merge