NT Rights problem with two-site Exchange setup?

NT Rights problem with two-site Exchange setup?

Post by Randy Ship » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks...

I'm trying to add a second site to my Exchange organization, and I'm having
a heck of a time.  Here's the background:

NT Domains:  SOUTH and NORTH
Exchange Organization:  COMPANYMAIL
Exchange Sites:  SOUTHMAIL and NORTHMAIL
Exchange Servers:   SOUTHMAILNT and NORTHMAILNT
My NT Account:   SOUTH/RShipp
Exchange Service Account:   SOUTH/EXSERVICE

OK...SOUTHMAILNT is up and running, no problem.  I go to our other office
to put in NORTHMAILNT and get the two sites talking.  The server installs
fine (after I got the trust from NORTH to SOUTH established correctly) and
I use SOUTH/EXSERVICE as the service account for the new site, NORTHMAIL.
So, my server's up and running.  When I log onto NORTH as Administrator, I
can open Exchange Administrator no problem and work with NORTHMAILNT.  When
I log onto SOUTH as RShipp, I get the following message upon trying to get
Administrator to hit NORTHMAILNT:

"A connection could not be made to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer
NORTHMAILNT.

You do not have the permissions required to complete the operation.

Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS"

I guess I should mention that SOUTH/RShipp is a member of global group
SOUTH/EXGLOBAL which is itself a member of local group NORTH/EXLOCAL, which
has been granted Permissions Admin access to all appropriate parts of the
Exchange "tree".  Anyway, SOUTH/RShipp can fully administer the NORTH
domain, but I can't seem to get SOUTH accounts to be able to hit the
NORTHMAILNT server.

Any thoughts?  I'm sure it's an NT problem, but I can't seem to track it
down, and I can't get the Site Connector working until this is solved...how
do you get one account in a multi-site, multi-domain (two-way trusts) to be
able to administer all those sites' servers?

Randy Shipp
Network Analyst
Advance Paradigm, Inc.

(972) 857-7313

1. Two Exchange servers from different NT Domains setup in one Exchange site

I have an existing Exchange server A in NT Domain A in Exchange site A. I
need to
setup Exchange server B in NT Domain B, but it needs to join existing
Exchange site A

Do I need to setup a Two-way trust or can this be done thru untrusted
domains ?

Also is there a way to change how often Exchange servers in the same site
replicate
to each other. I believe it happens every 5 minutes I would like to increase
it if at all
possible

Thanks in advance

Darryl Burnette

2. Using TrendMicro's eManager 5.1 and SMEX 6.1

3. Sharing a calendar...

4. command line for exchng32.exe

5. Exchange 2000 setup in two sites

6. Pegasus Mail --> Exchange 5.5

7. Exchange Server Setup between two sites ???

8. Two Site setup

9. OWA setup for two diff. site

10. Two Exchange Organisation and Two Sites

11. Help-Two Exchange server setup problem