Talking SMTP to Exchange Server.

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 25
>220 hostname  Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.0.1457.7 ready
>HELO mydomain.com
>250 OK

>DATA
>354 Send data.  End with CRLF.CRLF
>Subject: Just testing, please ignore.

>.
>250 OK
>QUIT
>221 closing connection

>So basically, I get a copy sent to myself fine, although exmining the headers
>I notice the TO: and FROM: fields are missing.

They're missing because you didn't send them.

>But the mail to Internet
>bounces with:

>Your message

>  Subject: Just testing, please ignore.

>did not reach the following recipient(s):

>    Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
>    MSEXCH:IMS:Mydomain:MYDOMAIN:HOST 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

What happens if, instead of telnetting to YOUR SMTP host, you telnet
(from the Exchange server machine) to the IP address associated with
the SMTP server for <whiterose.net>?

Quote:>However, if I use MS Exchange or Outlook to send email, everything works just
>fine. So what is the difference?

Do you run those clients from the Exchange server machine or from some
other machine? Do those clients sent the mail using the Internet Mail
service or the Exchange Server service? If it's the Internet Mail
service do the clients point to the Exchange server as their SMTP
host?

Quote:>Can I get Netscape/Pegasus et al to work with
>it? I also have a few NetBSD boxes which I would like to send E-mails from.

1. How does client talk to SMTP Server??

The client talks to the POP3 server on port 110. The client talks to
the SMTP server on port 25. TCP/IP is used in both cases. The commands
and responses are in plain text. The "upper layer" protocol is defined
by the appropriate RFC's which are, I believe, RFC1725, RFC1734 and
RFC 1939 (for POP3). The SMTP/ESMTP RFCs are RFC821, RFC822, RFC 1894,
RFC1985, RFC1870, RFC1869, and probably many others I've missed. I've
left out MIME, alternate characters ets, etc.

RPC.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

2. Microsoft word crashing

3. Talking to a Com object on failure by Microsft SMTP server to deliver a e-mail

4. What is the error # -1081 means when running "edbutil /c"

5. Exchange Server No Longer Talks To UNIX Servers

6. excessive logs, HD filled up

7. How To Talk SMTP and POP3

8. How to RTM(Eval) -> Retail

9. Oh Exchange GURU...Client App different behaviour talking with different servers

10. Exchange Talking to our ISP's server?

11. Talking to a Com object on receipt of an e-mail into a exchange server inbox

12. Can't talk to exchange Server

13. Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.