problem migrating from exchange 5.5 to 2000

problem migrating from exchange 5.5 to 2000

Post by Nasi » Sat, 18 May 2002 07:30:14

I'm trying to upgrade an existing exchange 5.5 server on a
NT 4 server to windows 2000. Here is what I've done.

1)  e set up a windows 2000 forest and migrated users with
SID's from the NT 4 domain using ADMT.

2) ran  Forestprep and on a domain controller and joined
an existing exchange 5.5 organization successfully.  It
had me change the display names of my exchange 5.5 site
and organization to replace illegal characters ( space and
underscore)

3)  set up ADC with one way replication of Exchange 5.5 to
windows Active Directory

4) ran domainprep

Now I'm trying to set up exchange 5.5 on the windows 2000
domain controller and when it tries to joing the exchange
5.5, it gives me the following error message:

Setup has detected that the organization name of the
Exchange site you are currently trying to join or upgrade
does not match the exchange organization found in active
directory.

Any idea how I can get past this message.  I have tried to
go under exchange 5.5 admin to change site and org names
back to the original names, but it resolves this message
only to give me another error box in setup indicating
illegal characters in the names.  Is this some sort of bug
in setup?

problem migrating from exchange 5.5 to 2000

Post by Tom » Sun, 19 May 2002 04:04:53

The ADC needs to be setup before Forestprep is run as it
extends the Schema.  If you run Forestprep first the ADC
instalation will not extend the Schema.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm trying to upgrade an existing exchange 5.5 server on
>NT 4 server to windows 2000. Here is what I've done.

>1)  e set up a windows 2000 forest and migrated users
with
>SID's from the NT 4 domain using ADMT.

>2) ran  Forestprep and on a domain controller and joined
>an existing exchange 5.5 organization successfully.  It
>had me change the display names of my exchange 5.5 site
>and organization to replace illegal characters ( space
and
>underscore)

>3)  set up ADC with one way replication of Exchange 5.5
>windows Active Directory

>4) ran domainprep

>Now I'm trying to set up exchange 5.5 on the windows 2000
>domain controller and when it tries to joing the exchange
>5.5, it gives me the following error message:

>Setup has detected that the organization name of the
>Exchange site you are currently trying to join or upgrade
>does not match the exchange organization found in active
>directory.

>Any idea how I can get past this message.  I have tried
>go under exchange 5.5 admin to change site and org names
>back to the original names, but it resolves this message
>only to give me another error box in setup indicating
>illegal characters in the names.  Is this some sort of
bug
>in setup?

>.

1. problem migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000

I have two Windows 2000 Servers one with Exchange 5.5 on it an being used by
my company. I have installed Exchange 2000 on a different Server and added
it in the site of my Exchange 5.5 and everything looks fine. The only
problem I have is that the move Mailbox doesn't show under the Exchange
Tasks in AD. I found an article that said I need to install the Exchange
System Manager on the Server with Exchange 5.5 on it to get the move mailbox
option but I only get the option to upgrade the whole server to Exchange
2000 and I can't change so that only the Manager installs. Can anyone shed
some light on this for me? I have added SP2 to the Exchange 2000 server and
I still don't have the option to move a Mailbox in the AD of either server.

Ken Hathaway

2. Badmail, Queue and Open relays

3. problem migrating to Exchange 2000 from 5.5

4. Security Inheritance through System Manager

5. Move or Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 5.5 or 2000

6. Messages do not go out (2)

7. Problems migrating users from 5.5 to 2000

8. VRFY in Exchange?

9. migrating mailboxes from 5.5 to 2000 problem with reply

10. OWA Problem after migrating 5.5 to 2000

11. migrating from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000

12. Migrating Exchange 5.5 backup connector to Exchange 2000

13. Migrating Mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000